BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
thesasuser
Pyrite | Level 9

A typical SAS release may have the name  for example SAS 9.4TS1M0.

In addition there may be a revision number showing week and year say 14w24 (week 24 of year 2014).

As I understand it M- stands for maintenance releases. This has solution/fix for customer reported issues

TS stands for technical support

In the above release TS1 - Technical Support 1

and M0- maintenance release 0

My question is what improvements this TS represent?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
thesasuser
Pyrite | Level 9
I would like to thanks every body individually for taking your precious time and sharing your knowledge and thoughts on the issue.
SAS is a carefully crafted product. It is my opinion that there must be some specific reason for using the letters TS. My question was not directed to any individual release.
Anyway thanks for your time. I will be closing the question.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
alexal
SAS Employee

@thesasuser,

This is Technical Support level (TSLEVEL). The format of a Technical Support level is TSxMy.

ShelleySessoms
Community Manager

This link provides information on that particular release: http://support.sas.com/kb/51/786.html

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

That link does not work. 😞

--
Paige Miller
ShelleySessoms
Community Manager

Hi @PaigeMiller,

There was an extra space in the url. Fixed now. Thanks!

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
thesasuser
Pyrite | Level 9

Thanks everybody for your time and efforts in answering the question.

My understanding is that the Maintenance level (M)represents removal of bugs or customer reported issues.
What I am trying to understand is what type of change /improvement does TSLEVEL represent ? Does it mean addition of new features or improved functionality/performance of existing features?

Not every time the letters TSx are  used. There must be some reason or logic for it to be used.
Thanks everybody in anticipation.

alexal
SAS Employee

@thesasuser,

Do not pay attention to that number. That number is increasing in very rare cases.

Reeza
Super User

@thesasuser wrote:

Thanks everybody for your time and efforts in answering the question.

My understanding is that the Maintenance level (M)represents removal of bugs or customer reported issues.
What I am trying to understand is what type of change /improvement does TSLEVEL represent ? Does it mean addition of new features or improved functionality/performance of existing features?

Not every time the letters TSx are  used. There must be some reason or logic for it to be used.
Thanks everybody in anticipation.

I'm not sure that's true. To understand what's new for each release, there is a SAS document that details what's new in each release, but I don't think there's hard and fast rules about not implementing new procedures with only a TS Level change or such. 

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@thesasuser - In the past few maintenance releases (9.4 M0 - M5) there has been some pretty significant additional functionality and improvements. New product versions are now delivered as part of or within the cycle of maintenance releases. An example of this is Visual Analytics 7.4 coinciding with SAS 9.4M4.  

thesasuser
Pyrite | Level 9
I would like to thanks every body individually for taking your precious time and sharing your knowledge and thoughts on the issue.
SAS is a carefully crafted product. It is my opinion that there must be some specific reason for using the letters TS. My question was not directed to any individual release.
Anyway thanks for your time. I will be closing the question.
Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

Hello
I too have this question.
What is the conceptual difference between technical support (TS-say M1) number and maintenance release(M-say M6).

What type of updates/improvement come in each of those categories.(TS and M).
There must be a reason for them to be mentioned.
I wish somebody from SAS enlightened the community.

Reeza
Super User
Each release has a What's New section that illustrates what's new. Bigger changes will result in a change in TS and smaller changes are managed by M.

There are not hard and fast rules what is a big change and what is smaller changes.

In this last versions (9.4) procs being added, changes to procedures and new features in ODS are all included in the M level releases.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 like
  • 7 in conversation