BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
AnkitDedhia
Calcite | Level 5

Hi All,

I would like to clarify few doubts of mine, if you'll can please help.

While installing multiple SAS environments on the same host machine (differentiated by folder structure) what kind of pre-cautions do we need to take?

Moreover there are few SAS services that have single default port specified e.g. SAS Web Server HTTP Port (Port 80), SAS Web Server HTTPS Port (443) etc.

Can the same ports be used again for the new environment which is being deployed on the same host machine?

Below is the list of SAS services which has single port number provided against it by SAS:

Port Description

Default Port Numbers provided in SAS Guide

SAS Web Server HTTP Port

SAS Web Server HTTPS Port

Web Report Studio IP Scheduling UDP Port 1

Web Report Studio IP Scheduling UDP Port 2

Web Report Studio IP Scheduling UDP Port 3

SAS Web Application Server HTTP Server 1 Port

8080 (or 8080-8084 for vertical clustering)

SAS Web Application Server HTTPS Server 1 Port

8443 (or 8443-8448 for vertical clustering)

SAS Web Application Server JMX 1 Port

6969 (or 6969-6973 for vertical clustering)

SAS Web Application Server HTTP Server 2 Port

8180 (or 8180-8184 for vertical clustering)

SAS Web Application Server HTTPS Server 2 Port

8543 (or 8543-8548 for vertical clustering)

SAS Web Application Server JMX 2 Port

7069 (or 7069-7073 for vertical clustering)

SAS Web Application Server HTTP Server 11 Port

9080 (or 9080-9084 for vertical clustering)

SAS Web Application Server HTTPS Server 11 Port

9443 (or 9443-9448 for vertical clustering)

SAS Web Application Server JMX 11 Port

7969 (or 7969-7973 for vertical clustering)

SAS Web Application Server HTTP Server 13 Port

9280 (or 9280-9284 for vertical clustering)

SAS Web Application Server HTTPS Server 13 Port

9643 (or 9643-9648 for vertical clustering)

SAS Web Application Server JMX 13 Port

8169 (or 8169-8173 for vertical clustering)

Platform Process Manager

Regards,

Ankit

9 REPLIES 9
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Please clarify your goal. The limitation is once a port has been assigned it cannot be used for another process anymore. Updating the binaries for the Webserver will require other ports. The Web protocol is supporting that. Only the default  one 80 is mentioned in the services file.

Your goal can be

- Verifying fixes updates new releases on the same machine. By that also having a next/previous version of those release management steps. It are the by suppliers delivered software where the focus is.

- supporting the versioning of developers wit a full DTAP metadata segregation of code artifacts. You can implement that by having isolated metadata servers for each stage each having the approved version of the latest release.it is the business logic where the focus is.

- As there are normally several user groups with some application with data sharing but also data isolation you can implement that by having several Sasapp servers. Each needing their own ports. With this the focus is on the Chinese walls within your business

---->-- ja karman --<-----
AnkitDedhia
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Jaap,

We are planning to install 2 environments of SAS (lev 4 and lev 5) on a single host machine hence I would like to know what pre-cautions need to be taken while installing the second environment (i.e. pre-cautions to be taken while installing lev 4 as Lev 5 has already been installed on the machine).

The ports that I have mentioned are single ports which will be used during my lev 5 installation. Now when I install lev 4 can I reuse the same ports or would I need a new set of ports this is with regards to only the ports that I have mentioned in my initial message.

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Still not clear wether you are doing complete new Sas version like sas 9.3 and 9.4 with different webapp servers on the same machine.

Or are you doing a configuration on the same machine with exactly the same Sas version Eg sas  9.4 as the configuration will support other settings wit a full metadata segregation. On the latter one sharing basic services ports like the Webapp 80 437 should be possible.

AnkitDedhia
Calcite | Level 5

I am installing SAS 9.4 on fresh set of servers and the architecture is such that Lev 5 and Lev 4 need to be installed on the same machine.

While the installation for Lev 5 would be carried out first and should be straight forward with regards to port numbers, my concern is with regards to Lev 4 as mentioned the environment will be installed on the same physical machine which will have Lev 5.

I would like to know whether the ports mentioned in my initial mail can be reused for new set of web services that will be installed as a part of Lev 4 and the other question is what pre-cautions should I take since I will installing Lev 5 and Lev 4 on the same physical box

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Than your question  seems to be on vertical clustering.

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/bimtag/66823/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p0xqadgjuegzsnn173n...

Check what is about that. It is your answer

AnkitDedhia
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Jaap,

I am not using cluster, I am only installing SAS 9.4 twice on the same physical box once for Lev 5 instance and the second time for Lev 4 instance.

jag_SAS
SAS Employee

Hi AnkitDedhia.

Usually when you are sharing multiple deployments on the same machine the process would be to create and build out one environment (PROD) and then migrate what you have there into a duplicate environment (TEST) which gives you the flexibility to test updates and modifications without impacting your production jobs and environment. For this reason, the topic of "peaceful coexistence" is handled in the migration guide of SAS documentation, Migration: SAS Intelligence Platform and Business Intelligence.

If your host is UNIX or LAX the task is much easier as your biggest concerns will be unique port numbers between the two environments and unique locations for your install binaries and configuration files. On Windows you also have to be concerned with service names being unique and possibly some registry considerations. The Lev4 versus Lev5 selection in the SAS Deployment Wizard will cause most port numbers to change (you will want to verify each one carefully) and since most service names have the "Lev<n>" denoted in them the names should be unique. Still I would recommend a dry run using the -record option (without -deploy) so that you can get a response file and see what each value in the second system will be set to in order to ensure everything is unique between the two environments.

AnkitDedhia
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Jag,

Many thanks for your response, it really helps. I have been more concerned with regards to the ports which do not have a range in the default port allocation section provided by SAS with most of them being related to Web Services.

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

AnkitDedhia, you are right for the question on the Webserver parts. Before 9.4 it was a 3 party component to be installed and maintained sperately. Starting with 9.4 the vm fabric ones for that are included. But there is too little information how to administrate those. It is the sales story you do no need to do that anymore. The gap is there for the more tech savvy ones.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation