BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
shoin
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi just wanted to confirm, when multiple lev1-9 are installed the same binaries could be re-used? Or where isolation is needed between LevN separate binaries also be done, so Lev1 its own install and config and separate for Lev2?

-S

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Having 9 different lev is unheard of, but if you have that many, I assume that they are on more than one host, and they reflect production, dev and different test environments?

I could be good practice to have at least one of the environments with it's own binaries, so you could test installations/upgrades/migrations in this environment, before promoting to other environments.

Data never sleeps

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
SASKiwi
PROC Star

If you are installing the multiple Levs on one physical SAS App server then indeed you should be installing from the same SAS Software Depot / SAS maintenance release / SAS binaries as best practice. I'm told it is possible to run different SAS maintenance releases on the same server (all SAS 9.4) but it is not a recommended practice and would create all sorts of maintenance problems. Best to avoid in my view.

What sort of isolation are you referring to? In my experience SAS App instance separation (lev1, lev2 etc) along with disk storage isolation is often sufficient.   

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Having 9 different lev is unheard of, but if you have that many, I assume that they are on more than one host, and they reflect production, dev and different test environments?

I could be good practice to have at least one of the environments with it's own binaries, so you could test installations/upgrades/migrations in this environment, before promoting to other environments.

Data never sleeps
Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

when multiple lev1-9 are installed the same binaries could be re-used? 
SASHOME will be common but each would have its own LEV1  - LEV9 folder.
I am assuming that all the instances are from the same install media.

alko13
Quartz | Level 8
yes, this will work, all Lev will refer to the common SASHome location

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 5 in conversation