BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Jason1
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

My organisation is looking to migrate from WinXp SAS 9.2 to Windows 10 with a 9.4 client and maintaining a 9.2 backend. We have been told that Flow Manager will not work with SAS 9.4 and we may lose our ability to monitor SAS flows.

Does anyone know if there is an alternative to Flow Manager that we could use when the migration occurs?

Thank you in advance,

J

10 REPLIES 10
Jason1
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Kurt,

The plan is to migrate from WIn XP to Windows, we know that 9.2 will not work on Windows 10. We will be upgrading the clients to 9.4.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Given the known toxicity of Windows XP, someone is setting themselves up for a gross negligence lawsuit.

Start building the required functionality with current software ASAP. It's part of the job.

Jason1
Fluorite | Level 6

The upgrade to Windows 10 is due shortly, we will be off XP shortly.

Jason1
Fluorite | Level 6

The 9.2 back-end runs on UNIX AIX.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@Jason1 wrote:

The 9.2 back-end runs on UNIX AIX.

That explains it. We've had the same here up to year's end. Although your AIX version may be quite old, also. And no longer under real maintenance.

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @Jason1,

let me see if I understood:

- Clients/ pc: they will upgrade from 9.2 to 9.4

- Server/backend: it will stay on 9.2

First, and if my understanding is right, it would be useful to know what is the point of upgrading the clients and not the server. Could you please elaborate?

Secondly, Flow manager is part of IBM Platform Computing meaning, not really SAS, hence, you can just keep installed the same program.

Third, if you upgrade/migrate the SAS on the clients it is highly recommended to update also on the server, and the other way around. If you upgrade the server, you might need to upgrade the clients, to have every version and maintenance at the same level.

Jason1
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Juan,

Yes that is correct, the back end has to remain 9.2 for cost reasons. Do you think Flow Manager 7.1 would run OK on Windows 10?

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Not 100%. I would raise this question to SAS technical support or IBM's.

I initially would think that, while not natively, if the client is set to run on "compatibility mode", it should be able to run OK on windows 10. 

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation