BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
japsas100
Pyrite | Level 9

Dear All,

We would like to migrate the sas metadata including roles group and the user id from sas 903 (Unix) to sas904.

(Window).

One complex method is manually entered all the user and their group, roles.

Is there any best way to migrate the metadata?

11 REPLIES 11
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

You must have had a synchronization process between your authentication source (either the passwd/group files of UNIX, or a LDAP source) and SAS metadata. Implement the same process on the new platform, and you'll have your users and groups automatically.

japsas100
Pyrite | Level 9

@Kurt_Bremser 

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Is there we cant check the synchronization process? Please share the steps.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Since using the metadata API is not that simple, I chose another approach: run the import as usual on the new platform, do a side-by-side check (eyeball Mk1) with SMC (9.3 for old, 9.4 for new) to see if there's an obvious discrepancy. Once it's confirmed there's none, let the users test the new platform, and wait for complaints. If such come, fix them. After a sufficient time, deactivate the old platform.

japsas100
Pyrite | Level 9

@Kurt_Bremser 

how to run the import as usual on the new platform?

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@japsas100 wrote:

@Kurt_Bremser 

how to run the import as usual on the new platform?

Just the way you ran it on the old. Unless there is also a change in authentication platform (like we had when we switched from UNIX-based authentication to AD as a LDAP source), then you need to modify your synchronization program.

japsas100
Pyrite | Level 9

@Anand_V @Kurt_Bremser 

Is there any way to add multiple users into a group via SAS EG?

I have more than 5000 users to assign to the various groups. I know, manually it's very complex and changes of error are higher to assign the incorrect group.

I just google it and found PROC METADATA SERVER is a way to add the user into the group.

Can you please share the script to load the data into various groups.

Note All the users and groups already populated in the metadata and I need to just assign the correct group.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Under Windows, the easiest way is to define all of your SAS users with Windows accounts, defining which Windows AD groups each belongs to, then use the SAS AD synchronization tools to import them into SAS metadata. SAS provides the code to do this. You don't need to write your own.

Have you already set up your SAS users into Windows AD groups that mirror your SAS metadata groups? You need to do this so your OS and metadata permissions align.

japsas100
Pyrite | Level 9

Thanks @SASKiwi 

Windows AD groups already sync in the metadata. we have some oracle specific users that we need to add manually.

I want to add below details like

Name | DisplayName | Email | Authorization domain under an account tab

someone posted below to add via xml

https://communities.sas.com/t5/Administration-and-Deployment/XML-Metadata-Interface-Adding-User-to-G...

Could you please share the full script to load this data vis sas EG

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@japsas100  - Sorry, I don't have such a script. We don't do automated metadata loads apart from AD synchronization using the SAS-supplied tools

An alternative approach might be to look at the highly recommended Metacoda tools: www.metacoda.com .

Anand_V
Ammonite | Level 13
I think you should involve your developer community at work to help you out here. Metadata programming could be quite complex based on the requirements at your site. Unfortunately I have very little programming background and I won't be able to assist on scripts. However once I had a similar task and I used sas available sample code that imports users in the format of /etc/passwd.

Here is the link for the details on this and it also points to the location where you can find the sample code.
https://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=bisecag&docsetTarget=p1glo11igwrdcbn1nazawizho26e.htm&docset...

You can tweak this code as per your requirement and import bulk users into SMC. NOTE: This method is only for adding users and doesn't map them to SMC groups automatically.

Hope this helps!

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation