BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
JackHamilton
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hello,

I'd like to make sure I understand this correctly:  It is not possible to override initial system options when starting a grid session without creating a new application server context for each set of options you might want to specify.  Is that right?

Here's what I mean.  I might start some grid sessions with code similar to this:

%put NOTE: RC from grdsvc_enable is %sysfunc(grdsvc_enable(_all_, server=SASApp));

signon grid1 signonwait=no;
signon grid2 signonwait=no;
signon grid3 signonwait=no;

Suppose I'm doing something in grid2 that requires different initialization options.  Just as an example, suppose I want grid2 to start with the -NONEWS option.

If I were running grid2 as a separate job from the command line with sasgsub, I could start it with 

sasgsub -sasopts '(-nonews)'

If I were starting grid2 as a regular SAS/Connect session, I could use a script, and the script could pass whatever startup options I want to the new session.

But If I want to pass options to a grid session, there's no way to do this other than to create a separate application server context that is the same as SASApp except for that one option.  I can't pass system options or a grid option set name or anything else that causes the startup to change.  Is there a way to do this that I don't know about?

A similar question applies to scriptless sessions in SAS/Connect, which is basically the same mechanism.  No way to pass options in a non-icky way (an icky way, if you have appropriate privileges on the remote machine, is to alter the sasv9.cfg file before starting the session, and then change it back afterwards, but besides seeming icky there's a potential for timing errors).

3 REPLIES 3
gwootton
SAS Super FREQ

You can specify options using GRDSVC_ENABLE at a session level with Grid Options Sets.

In your SASApp Grid Server configuration in SAS Management Console, define a grid options set with the SAS option "-nonews" (in the example below I called it "nonewsoptset").

Then reference this in a grdsvc_enable call specifically for grid2.

For example:

%let rc=%sysfunc(grdsvc_enable(grid2,server=SASApp;GRIDOPTSET=”nonewsoptset”))

GRDSVC_ENABLE Function

Working with Grid Options Sets

--
Greg Wootton | Principal Systems Technical Support Engineer
JackHamilton
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thank you.

So if I wanted to use -NONEWS for only session grid2, I would do something like this?

%put NOTE: RC from grdsvc_enable is %sysfunc(grdsvc_enable(_all_, server=SASApp));
signon grid1;

%put NOTE: RC from grdsvc_enable is %sysfunc(grdsvc_enable(_all_, server=SASApp;gridoptset="nonewsoptset"));
signon grid2;

signon grid3;

And this would have the same effect but in a different way?

%put NOTE: RC from grdsvc_enable _all_ is %sysfunc(grdsvc_enable(_all_, server=SASApp));

%put NOTE: RC from grdsvc_enable nonews is %sysfunc(grdsvc_enable(grid2, server=SASApp;gridoptset="nonewsoptset"));

signon grid1;
signon grid2;
signon grid3;

And there's no way to do this without creating a grid option set for each possible combination of system options I might want to change.

gwootton
SAS Super FREQ

That's correct.

--
Greg Wootton | Principal Systems Technical Support Engineer

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation