BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Techie99
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I am part of a team that access a Unix SAS server via PCs. From time to time, I and other users get the following error message when we try to log on to SAS:

"An unexpected error has occurred while accessing metadata.

A connection could not be made to the SAS Metadata Server but is required for the current operation. Please see your administrator."

There is a "show details" option. This brings up the following information:

Connection failed
Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {868CEB5F-4D78-43FC-96B4-F5B6C0341151} failed due to the following error: 800736b1 The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800736B1).

-------------------------- Technical Information Follows --------------------------

Exception Details:
----------------------------------------
Exception type:  SAS.EC.Directory.Metadata.MetadataException
Source:          EC.Directory
Target Site:     MakeConnection
Data:
    m_HostName : [redacted]
    m_Port : [redacted]

m_Userid : [redacted]
Stack Trace:
   at SAS.EC.Directory.Metadata.OMSProvider.MakeConnection()
   at SAS.EC.Directory.Metadata.OMSProvider.Connect()
   at SAS.EG.SDS.Dialogs.ProviderConnectDlg.Connect(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)

Inner Exception Details:
----------------------------------------
Exception type:  System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException
Message:         Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {868CEB5F-4D78-43FC-96B4-F5B6C0341151} failed due to the following error: 800736b1 The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800736B1).
Source:          EC.Directory
Target Site:     MakeConnection

Stack Trace:
   at SAS.EC.Directory.Metadata.OMSProvider.MakeConnection()

You might think from the above that this is a server-side issue. However, only one PC seems to be affected, at any one time, although which PC seems to be random. When I get the error on my own PC, I can still log on to SAS from a different PC, and other users can also log on. So it seems to be specific to a given PC, on a given day, and independent of which user is logging on.

The following day the error goes away. Nevertheless it is inconvenient as I have to work at two PCs.

Any help you can provide on this would be appreciated.

With thanks,

Techie99 

8 REPLIES 8
AhmedAl_Attar
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi,

This kind of issues are better handeled by SAS Tech Support. For several reasons

- They may have encountered this issue with other client(s) before, and if not, they can record it for the future

- if an issue were to be found in the underlying software, they can work on a patch for you.

Thanks,

Ahmed

anja
SAS Employee

Hi,

Where exactly do you get this error? When logging on to a SAS client, SASMC, or ..?

Did you take a look at the Metadata Server and Object Spawner log file? This may provide some further details.

Metadata Server log files:  /sas config dir/.../Lev1/SASMeta/MetadataServer/Logs

Object Spawn log files:     /sas config dir/.../Lev1/ObjectSpawner

Are you running SAS® Integration Technologies?

Thanks
Anja

Techie99
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Anja

I get the error when logging on to the SAS server from my PC.

I can't find the log files you mention, do you have further information on where they might be located?

I'm running SAS Enterprise Guide 5.1, I don't think I am running Integration Technologies.

Kind regards

Techie99.

Anand_V
Ammonite | Level 13
Hi @Techie99

If you were able to login to SAS Via other PC then I think the issue is with the PC. If you are using Enterprise windows OS Software, was there any recent patch installed on your machine, or any machine on which the error is occuring?

Was there any windows update which failed on your machine? You can check this with Local IT Team on the same.

As always, if this issue is causing greater impact, raise it with SAS Technical Support for quick fix.

Thanks
Anand
Techie99
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Anand

The thing is that the problem only occurs intermittently. One day it will occur, the next day it won't. If the issue was with a patch or update on my PC, then I would expect the problem to occur all the time.

Regarding SAS Technical Support, I would need to find out what support contract my company has with SAS.

Kind regards

Techie99.

anja
SAS Employee

Hi there,

regarding your concern with the Tech Support level your company has:

As SAS customer, you can contact SAS Tech Support at any time. There are different support level offerings,

however, you do get full support!

I'd contact them as I believe they will be abe to help you.

You can call them at 1-800-727-0025, or, open a track online: http://support.sas.com/ctx/supportform/createForm

Hope this helps!

Best,

Anja

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

This error may occur if there is a problem with Microsoft® Visual C++ Redistributable installation on your computer (PC ).

To resolve the error, you should reinstall the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable, using the vcredist.msi Installable from the SAS Deployment Wizard

setup.exe ‐srwonly

Note: It is strongly recommended that you uninstall any existing versions of the Visual C++ Redistributable, using Add or Remove Programs in the Windows Control Panel, before you reinstall it from the product.

http://support.sas.com/kb/45/588.html for 9.3

Techie99
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Juan

I don't think I have C++ installed on my PC. It's not on the list of applications available, and I cannot access the hard disk except for My Documents. However, I will bear this in mind.

Kind regards

Techie99.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation