BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
judie_c1
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

Kindly advice if Log4j Vulnerability Remediation is to be performed for SAS client tools (like SAS Enterprise Guide) and if so what are the steps. In such case we would need to have it fixed for all users who would have installed SAS EG. Please advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

A lot will depend on how EG was installed. If it was installed via an EG standalone installer then it is unlikely log4j software is included. I did a quick check on my laptop and can't find it in any EG install directories.

On the other hand if an installation was done from a full SAS Software Depot and that depot was copied to a client PC hard drive then the depot may contain log4j software. Also if SAS client tools other than EG were installed then it is possible log4j software will be included.

The bottom line is you really need to search any local hard drives to be sure. In Windows Explorer search for this - log4j-core-2.*.jar

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
joeFurbee
Community Manager

Hi @judie_c1,

Here are the links to SAS resources regarding log4j:

SAS Statement Regarding Remote Code Execution Vulnerability

SAS Blog post Updates on the Apache Log4j CVE-2021-44228 vulnerability

Lengthy Community thread with many questions / responses

I hope this helps,

Joe

Join us for SAS Community Trivia
SAS Bowl XL, SAS Innovate 2024 Recap
Wednesday, May 15, 2024, at 10 a.m. ET | #SASBowl

SASKiwi
PROC Star

A lot will depend on how EG was installed. If it was installed via an EG standalone installer then it is unlikely log4j software is included. I did a quick check on my laptop and can't find it in any EG install directories.

On the other hand if an installation was done from a full SAS Software Depot and that depot was copied to a client PC hard drive then the depot may contain log4j software. Also if SAS client tools other than EG were installed then it is possible log4j software will be included.

The bottom line is you really need to search any local hard drives to be sure. In Windows Explorer search for this - log4j-core-2.*.jar

Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

SAS Enterprise Guide is a Microsoft .Net application.No Log4j patching.
However for client tools from server (SAS Studio etc) should be covered by patching in the server.
In case of a doubt SAS Tech Support should be of great help.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

EG is, as mentioned, based on .NET, so it will have other vulnerabilities (after all, .NET is from Microsoft 😉 )

But if you have other clients installed locally (Management Console, Information Map Studio, OLAP Cube Studio), these are based on Java and might carry vulnerabilities, although the danger is not as big as on servers (you would have to somehow create a loggable event in those apps - on your own! - that carries a malicious string)

muduki
Calcite | Level 5

is there any order we need to do the log4j remediation? like start with meta, compute and then mid-tier ?

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 6 in conversation