BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Maicfel
Calcite | Level 5

Can anyone help I need a list of all metadata users and the libnames that each one has access to, is it possible?

3 REPLIES 3
carl_sommer
SAS Employee

SAS provides the %MDSECDS macro to build a set of tables for requested objects and their associated permissions.

See SAS Help Center: Overview of the Security Report Macros

I've not used the metacode plugin, but have heard great things about it.

Carl Sommer - SAS Technical Support

PaulHomes
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Thanks @AhmedAl_Attar and @carl_sommer for mentioning Metacoda!

@Maicfel - we have some commercial Metacoda Plug-ins that can be installed into SAS Management Console to provide additional views of the SAS metadata security implementation that SAS platform administrators find useful. Of the various plug-ins that we provide, the ones that might provide the answer you are looking for are the Object Permissions Explorer (pick an object, like a library, and see all users/groups and the effective permissions/access they have on that object) and the Identity Permissions Explorer (pick a user/group and see a collection of objects, such as all libraries, and the effective permissions/access that user/group has on all those objects). These views can be exported into HTML and CSV formats. If you see a combination of permissions you don't expect then you can right click on a row to access the Permissions Tracer plug-in which will list all of the relevant permission settings, from ACEs and ACTs on the object and all of its parents, for that user and all of its groups, ordered in terms of precedence, with the definitive or deciding permissions highlighted so you can see what it driving the decision.

I have written a couple of blog posts about these specific plug-ins that might help:

If this is of interest, and you would like to try the software out in your own environment you can register for an free 30 day evaluation at https://www.metacoda.com/en/evaluation/ and, of course, if you would like to have a web meeting to see a demo I would be more than happy to help.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 4 in conversation