BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Spachai
Calcite | Level 5

Hello Team,

I am fairly new to SAS but not to programming

We got an requirement to encrypt the dataset outside SAS 9.4. We are planning to use the python cryptography package of this encryption. specifically PyCrypto is a library that provides cryptographic functionalities for Python 2.7. We plan to use it for AES encryption, RSA public key operations, and generating 128-bit MD5 hash values.

Our platform uses a SAS product called SAS Secure for encryption for other business case.

My question is, installing pycrypto python module is a risk on our SAS environment ?  Does SAS uses Operating System packages that are required for AES and MD5 encryption, Installing this pycrypto module on linux server where SAS 9.4 is also implement,  would cause issues with our environment ? 

Kindly clarify my queries.

Thanks in advance

Kind REgards,

Sivaraman

5 REPLIES 5
AnandVyas
Ammonite | Level 13

Hi @Spachai ,

Staring with SAS 9.4M8, SAS Foundation servers use the cryptographic libraries that are provided and installed on the operating system to provide encryption for data at rest and data in motion. SAS requires that supported cryptographic libraries be installed on the SAS Foundation operating system where SAS 9.4M8 is installed.

Reference: https://documentation.sas.com/doc/en/pgmsascdc/9.4_3.5/secref/n18y1gz1edkpzln1wuwfckm2h3hb.htm

Spachai
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for your support.

Kind Regards,

Siva

Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

Hello @Spachai 

Your question is "We got an requirement to encrypt the dataset outside SAS 9.4. ...."
Well in IMHO it should not matter what approach one uses to encrypt data when it is outside SAS.
When the encrypted data is to be used in SAS again, Then it should be decrypted.
I recommend approaching SAS Tech Support for this issue.

Spachai
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks Sajid for your clarification, 

Will reach out  SAS Tech Support

Kind Regards,

Siva

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

By using metadata-bound and encrypted libraries, you can meet the requirements for data at rest, with the additional benefit that everything is done transparently by SAS, with no extra steps needed for encryption/decryption.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation