BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
DarrylLawrence
Obsidian | Level 7

Good day

All of my LSF flows need to be migrated to a new (AIX/UNIX) server.

I can deploy the SAS programs in bulk to the new server, but can all the existing flows be exported (eg like a sas package file used to migrate metadata) and then imported on the new server?

I currently have to re-create each flow and each calendar event in SAS Management Console on the new server and then Schedule each flow. With over 100 flows, this is going to take quite some time - so if the migration can be automated, it would be great!

3 REPLIES 3
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Good day to you too @DarrylLawrence ,

excellent question, as well. 

On one and first hand, the flows defined in the SAS Metadata can be exported as well in SAS Packages. Actually, when you create them, you define a metadata folder where the flow will be created. Once metadata is migrated, when you schedule the flows, they will become Process Manager (LSF's js process) flows.

https://platformadmin.com/blogs/paul/2010/07/promoting-job-flows/

(Kudos to  @PaulHomes for his magnificent guides )

In addition to that, Process Manager flows are also xml files, and they can also be copied and integrated in the new LSF, as long as dependencies are there as well: usernames, schedules, calendars, etc.

https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/migrate-scheduled-flows-after-ppm-upgrade-or-reinstallation

However, while this is supported by IBM, it is not officially supported by SAS. For a SAS supported process, please refer to the first method I mentioned.

I hope it helps.

Best regards,

Juan

DarrylLawrence
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks Juan

Just wondering - would the metadata about each flow - in SAS Management Console, also be migrated so that I am able to edit the flow (add or remove jobs or change the scheduling time/data)?

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Darryl, I believe I miss part of the sentence, not sure if I understand it, let me give it a try.

When you migrate/promote the flow  (and the dependent jobs, libraries, data, etc) from a SAS Package, all its metadata is migrated. It is not different from any promotion.

Therefore, answering to your question: yes, it will be available for you to edit and work normally with the flow.

In addition to above dependencies, remember that if you have custom schedules based on custom calendars, those need to be migrated as well. 

Bottom line: always keep in mind the dependencies, and always migrate from bottom (no dependencies) to top, or all together.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 2 in conversation