BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
RupaJ
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hello - Could anyone confirm if base SAS client is available for Linux SAS version 9.4 M5/M6 ? I understand we have for windows SAS. However some of our users who are transitioning from windows to Linux SAS would like to know if Base SAS can be available for Linux SAS? I am aware of only SASEG available for Linux SAS not base SAS. I also know we could login to the Compute server and run SAS programs on command line. But what I am looking for is a command line client tool. 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

You can install SAS on Linux.  We use it on RedHat Linux.  You can have a SAS command that runs SAS.  If you are using X Windows you can open SAS Display Manager and edit and run code interactively.  The main thing missing from what you have with Display Manager on Windows is the "Enhanced" editor.  But the normal program editor (which to me is a more advanced editor in many ways) works fine.  Note that this can be made to work essentially the same whether you have just done a basic install of SAS on just one computer or installed the more advanced options that allow you to use an application server and metadata manager and all of that other complex stuff.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
alexal
SAS Employee

@RupaJ ,

Yes, SAS is available on Linux. You could start Base SAS from a command-line either in command mode or GUI.

RupaJ
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

@alexal - Thanks for the response. Do you access it only from the compute server? Is it available as a stand alone tool that can be installed on the windows desktop like SASEG instead of accessing it from the SAS server?

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Define clearly what you mean by "base SAS client tool".

SAS provides several "client tools" like Management Console, Information Map Studio, OLAP Cube Studio, Enterprise Miner client, Enterprise Guide which all connect to "Base SAS" as a backend.

Some of these are Java-based and available on multiple platforms, EG is Windows-only (because it's built on .NET).

OTOH, SAS Studio is a web application accessible from anywhere with a browser.

When installed on a UNIX system, SAS is usually used as a remote server; the native interfaces (command mode, Display Manager) are not as user-friendly as the remote access tools.

RupaJ
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

@Kurt_Bremser - I am referring to the command line tool for SAS which is called as "base SAS". Apparently some programmers prefer that instead of the fancy SASEG. 

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

You can install SAS on Linux.  We use it on RedHat Linux.  You can have a SAS command that runs SAS.  If you are using X Windows you can open SAS Display Manager and edit and run code interactively.  The main thing missing from what you have with Display Manager on Windows is the "Enhanced" editor.  But the normal program editor (which to me is a more advanced editor in many ways) works fine.  Note that this can be made to work essentially the same whether you have just done a basic install of SAS on just one computer or installed the more advanced options that allow you to use an application server and metadata manager and all of that other complex stuff.

RupaJ
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thanks @Tom . So I tried on our Red hat server and it opens up 4 separate windows -  log, output, program editor, explorer... On windows it's all together as a single client tool. Guessing this is how it works on Linux. 

alexal
SAS Employee

@RupaJ ,

That is correct.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User
Yes. Much easier to use than the single frame mode that is done on Windows. If you find the number of windows overwhelms your X windows desktop there are X window managers that let you make virtual screens so you could put all of the SAS windows and one screen and the other X client windows on another screen.
RupaJ
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thank you @Tom  and @alexal !! This helps 🙂

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation