BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
texasmfp
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I had a great running setup on my old computer (9.4).  Installed on a new computer and its wonky.

When I click on a .sas program, it sends it to batch rather than opening in a windowed environment.  meanwhile, when I right-click on the file, batch submit is not an option, nor is open with SAS Foundation, Enterprise Guide, etc....

BTW, this is installed on my E drive (an NVME SSD drive).  It was also installed on the same NVME on my last computer.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
texasmfp
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Tech Support called me and walked me through the solutions.  Turns out, there is a SAS note on this, which includes a neat registry edit tool to fix file associations.

https://support.sas.com/kb/45/779.html

In addition to fixing the registry, refreshing the BASE SAS install solved the issue.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
JackHamilton
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I don't have any helpful suggestions for you, but I wanted to sympathize.

Assigning default and optional actions to programs has become progressively harder over the years.  This is mostly not the fault of SAS Institute.  Microsoft has removed some of the tools previously used to manage file types and associations, and added additional restrictions on what can be easily done. 

I say "mostly not" because SAS used to distribute a file types manager with SAS, and no longer seems to  do so (it's not installed here; maybe that was a local choice).  Maybe Microsoft broke it too.

mkeintz
PROC Star

@JackHamilton 

I agree that Microsoft is making these things harder, but my recent SAS installation (SAS 9.4m6 on my new Windows 10 Professional, 3 to 4 months ago), did not appear to drop any right-click options.  Among other sas-specific options, I see "Batch Submit with SAS 9.4", "Batch Submit with SAS 94. (UTF8)", "Open with SAS 9.4".   It's based on a software depot from June 2019.

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

texasmfp
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thanks for confirming I am not going crazy, mkeintz.

I note something new:  I clicked on a program and, then right-clicked on open with SAS 9.4 I got an error popup block from SAS that says:

"ERROR: Insufficient authorization to access C:\WINDOWS\system32\PT US Margin.log."

My SAS (9.4 M6) was totally installed on the E drive and the config file was changed so that even the temp file points to the E drive.  Nothing in SAS should be looking to access the C drive.  Any chance this is part of the issue?

mkeintz
PROC Star

@texasmfp 

You have quickly reached an issue that goes well beyond my expertise, so so I post the points below just as general observations:

1. Why would sas want to write to a log in c:\windows\system32?   Does it mean you are opening a sas program named PT US Margin.sas also located in that directory?  I guess there could be something in the sas configuration file that points to that directory, but I have no idea why.

2. if you don't have authorization, you must be running SAS under a non-administrative logon.  This is a good thing, since you shouldn't be authorized to write to areas reserved for systems management when just running a regular sas program.
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

texasmfp
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Tech Support called me and walked me through the solutions.  Turns out, there is a SAS note on this, which includes a neat registry edit tool to fix file associations.

https://support.sas.com/kb/45/779.html

In addition to fixing the registry, refreshing the BASE SAS install solved the issue.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation