BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
SatishPala
Calcite | Level 5

Hi All,

We have SAS 9.4 M3 Installed on Linux server Red Hat 4.8.5-39.The person who installed has left the organization, I don't have the sas installer accout password with me. I need to maintain the server and renew license.

Is there any way to get the password?

What if we reset the password, does it impact any sevrices?

Could you please shed some lights on this.

Thanks,

Satish

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

The install user password is not used within SAS AFAIK. You can reset and change it.

SAS services are started at system start from a root process, which does not need passwords when changing the user context.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
SASKiwi
PROC Star

@SatishPala  - I suggest you track your problem to SAS Tech Support as you will need version-specific advice on this. The SAS installer account is also an OS account so for obvious reasons retrieving the password would be extremely difficult if not impossible. You will probably have to investigate your SAS installation to find out where this account has been used or is still being used. 

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

The install user password is not used within SAS AFAIK. You can reset and change it.

SAS services are started at system start from a root process, which does not need passwords when changing the user context.

AnandVyas
Ammonite | Level 13
Hi @SatishPala,

Most of the cases, SAS installer account is OS account usually to hold the sas binaries and configuration files. You can change the password for this account and it won't impact your platform.

In-case your site had some specific requirements to add this user to metadata (which is never recommended, however I have seen some sites doing that) you will have to update the password for this user using SMC.
SatishPala
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you all for replies.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation