BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
SangaviS
Obsidian | Level 7

We have a number of SAS App Context servers in our environment.  I would like to remove one. Is it safe to just delete it from the SAS Management Console?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SangaviS
Obsidian | Level 7

I later realized this is not a best practice. I used "remove existing configuration" option under SAS Deployment manager to remove the app context server

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
SASKiwi
PROC Star

That just removes the metadata definition of the server. It won't remove OS folders where the server contexts are configured.

However you should check to see if any data libraries are defined on that server. Do users still need these? At the very least you should remove any data libraries using this context server before removing the server itself. 

SangaviS
Obsidian | Level 7
This is a newly configured AppContext server. The environment is not live yet.

Anand_V
Ammonite | Level 13
Hi @SangaviS,

You will have to run the SDM wizard to unconfigure your application context which will remove all the files related to it from server and also from metadata. It's a best practice to backup your deployment before you do that.

Even if you live with it, I don't think it will cause any issues unless you have some specific site requirements to do this!
gorata
Obsidian | Level 7
In this case is any downtime recommend if the users are working with the other SAS App context.
When we deinstalling SAS App x for example this will not impact SAS App y right or I see it wrong?

Thank you and best Regards!
Anand_V
Ammonite | Level 13
On theory, It should not impact, However it is always recommended to make changes on configuration files only when the system is not in use.
SangaviS
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks everyone. Since the environment is still in build phase, I stopped the services, deleted the AppContext from SMC and then deleted the AppContext folder from the server. It did not impact anything.

SangaviS
Obsidian | Level 7

I later realized this is not a best practice. I used "remove existing configuration" option under SAS Deployment manager to remove the app context server

SangaviS
Obsidian | Level 7

I don't think downtime is required for users using other AppContext servers

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation