BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
gerolo
Calcite | Level 5

Hey,

I want to install a local installation of SAS with servers on my computer (stand-alone installation).

The installation of the software worked fine without problems but the configuration always get some errors.

The first warning is the SAS Metadata Server Configuration but there is no prompt with information. The first error/problem encounters with SAS Credit Scoring for Banking Server Configuration. After that each configuration of SAS products which use the SAS Web Server and Web Application Server fails. In the attached image you can see in which steps there are warnings and in which steps there are errortion s.

I deactivated the firewall during installation and configuration. I installed and configured with a user with admin rights. I created the user sassrv with the right 'logon as a batch job'.

I can't figure out where my problem is.

Does anyone has experience with a stand-alone installation of SAS and could help me please?

If you need specific logs or something else to figure out my problem just let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Oliver

14 REPLIES 14
boemskats
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi Oliver,

I'm assuming you're on Windows from the 'log on as batch job' comment. The Deployment Wizard produces detailed logs which may be able to help you. On Windows, SDW.log can be found in %APPDATA%\SAS\SASDeploymentWizard\[version]\SDW.log, and they're a good starting point.

Have a look at this doc:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/biig/60946/HTML/default/viewer.htm#sdwr.htm

Hope this helps

Nik

gerolo
Calcite | Level 5

Yes, you're right: It's on Windows. (Windows 7 64x)

The logs don't help me because there it just says "... has not been set" and no reason why it has not been set.

I'm a beginner at install and configure SAS.

Regards,

Oliver

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Then you need to set what has not been set. Or give us MUCH more detailed information.

One of the things that the metadata server needs are userid's and passwords for certain tasks. Some of those will only be present in the metadata themselves, some must correspond to actual credentials in the operating system.

Take note of all the credentials you declare, you WILL need them later on.

Unless the metadata server configuration completes without error, any further debugging is moot. Without metadata, nothing works in SAS.

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Oliver it is little bit of a chicken/egg dilemma (what did exist first) to install SAS you must understand it. To learn SAS you need an installation.
There are a lot of pre-req to be fulfilled. The user-management part is asking you define users/passwords that may not be changed anymore thereafter.

Looks something went wrong there as the first exclamations starting early and they should be green.

It just telling.... nothing started. There must be more information. 

---->-- ja karman --<-----
gerolo
Calcite | Level 5

Could you please tell me where I can find more information?

Regards,

Oliver

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

SAS Intelligence Platform  (this is all about the EIP part. the dedicated OS topics are at another tab)

gerolo
Calcite | Level 5

Attention Required

The following errors occurred during the deployment process. Failure to address these issues results in an invalid deployment. Configuration logs are located in C:\SAS\Config\Lev1\Logs\Configure. A complete summary of the deployment process can be found here. This summary details what steps of the deployment process completed successfully and what steps did not.

Depending on the nature of the problems encountered, the following information can be used in diagnosing and remediating configuration and deployment errors:

1. Ensure that all pre-installation checklist tasks have been completed, for example, users have been created with sufficient permissions.
  2. In the error log file, look for the error messages at the end of the file.
  3. In the server or application log file (for example, located in the Logs directory for most servers), search for ERROR messages.
  4. For more details about server log files, see "Administering Logging for SAS Servers" in the SAS Intelligence Platform: System Administration Guide at http://support.sas.com/94administration.
  5. Ensure that another server or application isn't already running on the specified port.
  6. For applications running as services or daemons, ensure that another service or daemon with the same name isn't already defined.
  7. In Task Manager on the Processes tab, go to View > Select Columns and select the option to display process PID (Process Identifier). For applications that run the SAS System, you can match the sas.exe PID to the corresponding log name, for example, C:\SAS\<ConfigDir>\Lev1\SASMeta\MetadataServer\Logs\MetadataServer_<Date>_<PID>.log.

SAS Web Application Server failed to configure successfully. Check configuration logs for more information

An error was encountered configuring the SAS Credit Scoring for Banking Mid Tier.

1. A configuration error occurred.

An error was encountered configuring the SAS Credit Scoring for Banking Mid Tier.

SAS Web Application Server failed to configure successfully. Check configuration logs for more information

That's all I have at the moment.

The first problem is that it couldn't load definitions from resource org/apache/tools/ant/antlib.xml

After that the part with "has not been set" begins. First the host and port of metadatasrv has not been set. Where can I set these things?

I set everythign in the Deployment Wizard which I have to fill in.

Regards,

Oliver

LeeHerman
SAS Employee

Gerolo,

Given the complexity of the install and configuration you are doing, I'd strongly recommend that you open a ticket with SAS Technical Support either by filling out the web form on this page: Technical Support Form or calling the phone number on this page: Contact SAS Institute Technical Support. As a SAS customer, your license includes access to SAS Technical Support and they are skilled at helping resolve complex problems of this type.

Regards,

Lee

boemskats
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Anything in the metadata server logs?

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

The messages on checking the logs are clear.  You can start with nikola-s one I would suggest that C:\SAS\Config\Lev1\Logs\Configure one.

We know now that is 9.4 with the credit-bank scoring on a Windows machine (w7). 

What I get worried about is that C:\SAS\- not being the default name (programfiles\SAShome). In a banking environment it is common to have strict rules and policies on machines. They are easy to get bypassed for a lot of reasons. You are needing a well aligned approach with your local IT staff. No matter how you proceed there is a lot of questions becoming quite technical.

It could be you are needing support from several techies (your local tech environment).

Questions: do you have a standard desktop (local banking policy) or an open dedicated machine, a virtualized one? Any restrictions you are aware off?

I agree with Lee you are needing some help. I do not know they can help if they want to surpass the restrictions and policies of the IT environment of your employer.

I am doubtful in that area with SAS TS or even SAS at all. Sorry Lee, but that area of cooperation with local IT and ICT policies - regulations,  is something where the SAS architecture has a lot of mistakes. It would be great when a SAS architect could bring some influence on real improvements for those topics. 

Unkie_SAS
SAS Employee

It is probably also a good idea to check that what you are doing - installing server software on a PC - is within the conditions of your SAS license.

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

@unkie In this modern times the users are getting a SID (having the setinit) it is describing the installation with a planfile.
SAS likes to be consulted with additional costs to have that done at their consultancy in their way not cooperating with local It. (Yes I am little bit agitating to see your opionion on this). I assume the SID file has delivered according his goal/usage.
As the download you have to do for the software is done with the License (SID) you are bound to that OS usage. 

The issue we have to agree: gerolo is in difficult position with this.

LeeHerman
SAS Employee

Assuming that Gerolo is trying to install with a proper SID file and SAS Plan file for the platform and machine he is trying to install on, SAS Tech Support will assist him with the install. That support is part of the service provided to all licensed SAS customers. If he doesn't have the SID file and/or Plan file, then his SAS account rep will have to assist him in getting those. SAS Professional Services (where I work) is certainly happy to provide consulting support at varying levels from advice and direction to doing all the work. That's an option for customers who desire more assistance, but I've been involved with many customers who have solved similar install problems with only the help of SAS Tech Support.

BStone
Obsidian | Level 7

Did you manage to get this resolved?

As the log suggests, make sure you passed all the checks in the pre-installation checklist, espeically aroudn user accounts and passwords. Since the metata configuration finished with warnings, your installation will fail on multiple steps.

I would suggest you don't select continue with errors, fix the errors as you progress through the configuration. However, if all you checks are in place and all prerequisites are met, chances are your installation will complete successfully.

Hope that helps, either way - please share your resolution, it will be very useful for others.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 7 in conversation