BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
SASWayne
Quartz | Level 8
We have two SAS9.4M5 environments test and prod running on windows with same installer account sas-service.
Now we'd like to have two separate service accounts for test and prod called sas-servicetest and sas-serviceprod.
Could someone help me with the steps on changing the installer account?
TIA
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

The SAS installer account is also used to start basic services, where it is often necessary to be the owner of certain files. Since the account was used during installation, this is guaranteed.

So, basically, one SAS installation -> one SAS installer account.

To separate between a test and prod environment, you do not need separate SAS installations (unless you also physically separate the SAS servers), but you use separate definitions of contexts in a single metadata environment.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anand_V
Ammonite | Level 13
Hi @SASWayne

I don’t think there is any documented approach to change the installer account. I would suggest you to check with SAS Technical support by emailing them to support@sas.com
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

The SAS installer account is also used to start basic services, where it is often necessary to be the owner of certain files. Since the account was used during installation, this is guaranteed.

So, basically, one SAS installation -> one SAS installer account.

To separate between a test and prod environment, you do not need separate SAS installations (unless you also physically separate the SAS servers), but you use separate definitions of contexts in a single metadata environment.

SASWayne
Quartz | Level 8
Thank you for your response Kurt.
I totally agree with you, but we require this change to comply with company IT policy.

Is there any work around possibly to do this?
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

If your company requires this kind of (totally unnecessary, believe me) separation, you best run two separate servers.

Keep in mind that this would force you to have two installations in parallel, including the web application stack. How you keep those two running without interfering with each other (on Windows, to boot!), I have no idea.

Get some real IT people whose brains have not been burned through by prolonged exposure to crapware (Windows).

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Mind that the installer account is not used to run SAS software (with the exception of the metadata server and the web application infrastructure).

Workspace servers are run with the logged-in user's account, pooled servers (e.g. stored process servers) with sassrv. These are relevant security-wise.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation