BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
DevaCh
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi All,

Could any one guide me detailed steps that How to Upgrade SAS Version from M7 to M8 in Grid Environment contains 1 Meta Data Server and 2 Compute Grid Nodes & 1 Middletier server.

And post upgrade what are the configuration files need to validate ???

Deva. 

8 REPLIES 8
MarcoGhiglieri
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Deva,

there's not such public documentation, at least not a "complete" one.
Best practices are always the same: full "cold" backup, and procede by layers: upgrade LSF, then BackEnds (Meta and Compute tiers) and lastly FrontEnd (Web tier).

DevaCh
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Marco,

Thank you for your reply. But thing is i would like to know the high level steps of the upgrade and post upgrade what are the configuration files we will check it to make sure upgrade went fine that would be great help on this request ???

Deva.

gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
This blog might be a good place to start:

Considerations for Updating to SAS 9.4 M8
https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/Considerations-for-Updating-to-SAS-9-4-M8/ta-...
--
Greg Wootton | Principal Systems Technical Support Engineer
DevaCh
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks a lot Gwootton. This documentation was good.  I have one more question.

Currently we are in SAS 9.4 M7 version and to upgrade the version from M7 to M8 do we need to use 

SAS Migration Utility (SMU), or 

Upgrade In Place (UIP) or

SAS Deployment Wizard, Kindly suggest ?

Deva. 

gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
The migration utility is used when performing a new deployment, so if you were to install M8 on separate hardware or in a separate SAS installation directory or SAS configuration directory. In this case you would create a migration package from your existing installation and during the deployment of the new environment you would specify it is a migration and provide this package. Upgrade in place upgrades your existing installation to the new version (e.g. M7 to M8) which is my understanding of what you would like to do based on your initial inquiry.
Both of these methods make use of the SAS Deployment Wizard.
--
DevaCh
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Greg,

Thank you for your reply.

As we are not installing the M8 in new hardware hence migration utility should not be used.

Also as per our requirement currently from SAS 9.4 M7 environment we are doing the upgrade to M8 hence when we invoke ./setup.sh script in M8 Depot, Through UPGRADE IN PLACE utility it will invoke the Deployment Wizard then installation will happen am i right, Please correct me if my assumption is wrong. 

Thanks,

Deva. 

gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
Right, when you run the SAS Deployment Wizard from your new depot it should go into Update mode. Here's the documentation on updates that goes through all the steps to prepare.

The General Process for Software Updates
https://go.documentation.sas.com/doc/en/pgmsascdc/9.4_3.5/whatsdiff/n1c78q6tx3u0cfn1xrrusfynjrio.htm
--
DevaCh
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Greg, 

This documentation is useful. Thank a lot for your timely response on my queries.

Deva.  

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation