BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
PhilMason
Obsidian | Level 7

Morning all,

we had a manager say that the SAS Add-in was used a lot and I have been trying to quantify that. When someone uses the SAS Add-in (from Excel or Word) it spawns a SAS Workspace Server session, so it is possible to go and find the log for that and see what they did. In the same way Enterprise Guide spawns a Workspace Server session too.

I am trying to identify what started the session from the log. Comparing two logs side by side I couldn’t see anything that I could use to do that. Has anyone done this? Or know of a way to do it?

I suppose I could change the way they are spawned and add a macro variable to pass in to use, but that involves messing around with configurations. Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks

Phil

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BrunoMueller
SAS Super FREQ

Hi

The Object Spwaner log can tell you this information, see example below

2016-07-05T13:34:41,262 INFO [00000047] :abc@cdf - New client connection (12) accepted from server port 8591 for user abc@cdf. Encryption level is Credentials using encryption algorithm SASProprietary. Peer IP address and port are [::ffff:127.0.0.1]:49653 for APPNAME=SAS Add-In for Microsoft Office.
2016-07-05T13:37:38,026 INFO [00000075] :abc@cdf - New client connection (14) accepted from server port 8591 for user abc@cdf. Encryption level is Credentials using encryption algorithm SASProprietary. Peer IP address and port are [::ffff:127.0.0.1]:49921 for APPNAME=SAS Enterprise Guide.

Bruno

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
BrunoMueller
SAS Super FREQ

Hi

The Object Spwaner log can tell you this information, see example below

2016-07-05T13:34:41,262 INFO [00000047] :abc@cdf - New client connection (12) accepted from server port 8591 for user abc@cdf. Encryption level is Credentials using encryption algorithm SASProprietary. Peer IP address and port are [::ffff:127.0.0.1]:49653 for APPNAME=SAS Add-In for Microsoft Office.
2016-07-05T13:37:38,026 INFO [00000075] :abc@cdf - New client connection (14) accepted from server port 8591 for user abc@cdf. Encryption level is Credentials using encryption algorithm SASProprietary. Peer IP address and port are [::ffff:127.0.0.1]:49921 for APPNAME=SAS Enterprise Guide.

Bruno

brendanodwyer
Fluorite | Level 6
Bruno,

Are those codes specific to client applications? Just curious. Assuming so.
BrunoMueller
SAS Super FREQ

Yes they are specific to the application like

APPNAME=SAS Enterprise Guide.

I do not know of a list of app names

Bruno

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation