BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
nmstough
Calcite | Level 5

I purchased a one year license for SAS 9.4 from my university.  I got an email with a few small license files.  But I have no idea how to get this program installed.  The university gave me a zip file which was ridiculously big and I unzipped it - it took an hour!  After unzipping it I now have a folder with more zip files!  The folder has zip files:

SAS_9B1RLM_ds01.zip

SAS_9B1RLM_ds02.zip

SAS_9B1RLM_ds03.zip

SAS_9B1RLM_ds04.zip

SAS_9B1RLM_ds05.zip

SAS_9B1RLM_ds06.zip

SAS_9B1RLM_ds07.zip

and two hidden files called -DS_Store and ..DS_Store

What am I supposed to do with all of this?  I just want to install the software and I have not found anyplace with a decent set of installation instructions.  Can someone assist me?  I have no familiarity with this product at all.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ShelleySessoms
Community Manager

Hello @nmstough,

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with this installation. Given all you've told us, @SASKiwi has the best solution:

"I suggest you go back to your university. They are the ones packaging SAS so they should be able to explain how to prepare for an install."

We're here to help with issues, but the specific details will need to come from your university.

Best of luck!

Shelley

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Well, despite the fact that your university should be supplying you with install instructions.....

At a guess those zip files look like copies of a set of DVD install disks. Check disk 1 - _ds01 - can you find a file called setup.exe in the root directory? SAS installs like any other Windows software using an application called setup.exe. Try running it and see how far you get.

nmstough
Calcite | Level 5

Yeah, they first handed me a set of some kind of disks.  I had no idea what to do with those, since I havent heard of anyone using that for years.  So they downloaded this massive zip file onto my device and left me to fend for myself.  I think you're right its some kind of copy of disks.  I unzipped ds01 and there is a setup file.  I tried running it but then what do I do about the other disks?  And it didn't work.  Eventually I got a box that said "SAS Deployment Wizard" at the top and an option "Install SAS Foundation and Related Software".  But the second half of the box was cut off and there is no way to scroll down and continue the process.  So I clicked on the "X" and exited.  

Reeza
Super User

There are instruction guides, but I'm not sure which one applies to you. 

http://support.sas.com/documentation/installcenter/94/index.html

I've moved the post to the administration and deployment so you can hopefully get some answers.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

You will probably need to unzip each disk image before you continue, if you haven't already into the same top-level directory.

nmstough
Calcite | Level 5

I cant figure out how to unzip into the same folder.  I unzipped the first and it created a folder called SAS9B1RLM_ds01.  Then I tried to unzip the second and point it to the previous folder using explorer.  It then created a subfolder within the above folder called SAS9B1RLM_ds02.  This obviously isn't working.  

I cannot understand the instructions posted on the website either.  Why cant this company produce something easy enough that unsophisticated users like myself can understand - like Microsoft does.  And further this is a ridiculously enormous set of files.  I am not even sure I have room for it.  Why cant they provide something that runs off the cloud which would be a lot more efficient?

SASKiwi
PROC Star

My guess is you were probably looking at the server-based instructions which are indeed designed for IT professionals only.

SAS is available for free as a simple download and install:

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Analytics-U/bd-p/sas_analytics_u

https://support.sas.com/en/software/university-edition.html

Also very few SAS users install off disk images anymore. The default installation process uses a simple download then another simple install if it is going on a PC.

I suggest you go back to your university. They are they ones packaging SAS so they should be able to explain how to prepare for an install.

nmstough
Calcite | Level 5

OK, thanks for this information.  Free?  Why did I pay a lot of money for version 9.4?  But then it says you have to create virtual box.  Why?  Thats a huge complication and I dont want to clutter my device with unnecessary software.  And further, I would imagine that this is going to take too much memory from the other things I am doing on my device.  I need to do some statistical analysis on some really massive data sets, but at the same time since this is my only device I need to use it also for watching videos, email, skyping, working on documents, etc.  

SASKiwi
PROC Star

The free SAS version is for learning only, not for commercial use. Also you are limited by the amount of data that will fit in your SAS VM. You have made the right choice if your data volumes are large. Getting going with SAS can appear daunting at first, but believe me it is worth the effort. I've had a 30 plus year career in analytics using SAS from mainframes to PCs. There are very few analytical software tools still around with that track record.

Reeza
Super User

Because you can now call SAS tech support, business hours, and they can try and help you out. 

@nmstough wrote:

OK, thanks for this information.  Free?  Why did I pay a lot of money for version 9.4?  But then it says you have to create virtual box.  Why?  Thats a huge complication and I dont want to clutter my device with unnecessary software.  And further, I would imagine that this is going to take too much memory from the other things I am doing on my device.  I need to do some statistical analysis on some really massive data sets, but at the same time since this is my only device I need to use it also for watching videos, email, skyping, working on documents, etc.  

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

If you paid "a lot of money" for SAS, then you should receive the installation media directly from SAS, and be entitled to get help from SAS technical support.

Reeza
Super User

There is a cloud version on AWS, free for students. Not sure if it can access an S3 bucket though. 

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Don't unzip into one folder. Unzip so that you get separate folders (in the same root) for each "disk". Start setup.exe in the first, and point the SDW to the next one each time it asks for a new disk.

From the file names, this looks like SAS 9.1, which is really old now. With a current SAS installation package, you should get a "SAS depot" from which to run the install.

nmstough
Calcite | Level 5

I examined the "date" on some of the files in the installation "disks".  They are 7/1/2014.  Does that give a clue as to which version this is?  

SASKiwi
PROC Star

This link will help: http://support.sas.com/kb/50/493.html

Looks like you have SAS 9.4M1. The current release is 9.4M5 so you are 4 maintenance releases behind.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation