cijo_v
Calcite | Level 5
Hello All,

I need advice on how much CORES/RAM etc is needed for below dataset size:
1. Around 200 datasets
2. Field count approx 150 per dataset
3. Record count approx 200 million records per dataset
4. Users 10

It would be helpful if anyone can guide in sizing needed.
6 REPLIES 6
MargaretC
SAS Employee

A lot more information is needed before we can advise you on how many cores will be needed.  

I advise you to work with your SAS team to get a hardware estimate (i.e. Sizing) that will be based on not only the data file size, but how your 10 users will be using SAS.  

cijo_v
Calcite | Level 5
@MargaretC,
Can you specify what other information is needed?
We have an infrastructure at present which seems too basic for our need.

10 users will most probably execute profiling in concurrent mode

We just need a approx sizing for budgeting
andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

Talk to SAS, they know best how much (virtual) hardware is required.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Ask your SAS account manager to organise a SAS installation sizing estimate. They will send you a questionnaire containing the required information and once this is completed they will respond with a sizing estimate.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

To add:

- query/update patterns

- how frequently?

- concurrent users

- requirement on response/query timings

Data never sleeps
Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

The following paper has guideliness on initially sizing a SAS Installation.
https://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings09/310-2009.pdf  In addition the following link has useful resources https://platformadmin.com/blogs/paul/category/sas-software/sas-architecture/ .

A pieces of advice, based on the estimate of 10 users your install would not be big, try to keep it simple unless you have something very specific and are planning to hire a SAS Administrator (SAS programming and SAS adminsistration are related but distinct tasks).  Linux as the server OS is my preferred choice.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 6 in conversation