BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
GenDemo
Quartz | Level 8

Hi All

So I just went through the first instance or updating my SAS University Edition.

The instructions were very poor... so in Virtual Box, I deleted the old machine, and re-imported the newly downloaded one. Only to find that all my library links, programs and data is gone!!!

Is there anyway to get this back?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User
I'm guessing you somehow put the myfolders in the same folder as the image and deleted it that way.

When you create your myfolders folder, make sure it's somewhere on your local drive and that you don't delete it next time.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
ketpt42
Quartz | Level 8

Those files live outside of the virtual machine, so re-importing the new VM would not delete them. In your virtual machine, you have have to set the shared folder to the same location as your previous installation. This is how mine is setup in Oracle VM VirtualBox:

13.07.2020_20.21.30_REC.png

GenDemo
Quartz | Level 8
Hi
Thnx for the reply.
So I have that - but that only has my excel files that I output.
I think my sas tables and programs was saved 'in' the VM? perhaps in a library there?
I am not very well versed in the VM world.
ketpt42
Quartz | Level 8

As far as I know, it is not possible to save anything inside the virtual machine.

GenDemo
Quartz | Level 8

I think I saved it under this folder, and perhaps not the one on my local machine.

GenDemo_0-1594688614082.png

JackHamilton
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

"My Folders" is typically in your PC's file system, in a place you decided on.  You might try looking for a folder named sasuser.v94 on your hard drive and any attached storage you  might have.

I put mine in my Dropbox folder. 

JackHamilton
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
You can save to the /tmp directory, but that is probably not very useful.
GenDemo
Quartz | Level 8

When I updated 

The update on the home page wasn't working. So I followed the instructions on the support page to just re-download the file again.
Then it didn't want to update the SAS UE I have in VirtualBox. So I deleted it.    Perhaps this deleted my program files.

GenDemo_0-1594688750897.png

Reeza
Super User
No. Files are stored on your computer not in the VM.
Your files are there somewhere UNLESS you explicitly went and deleted your myfolders.

Seach for .sas and see which files show up and where.
GenDemo
Quartz | Level 8
nope - nothing...

ai jai jai... fortunately its not a train smash.

Thnx for you help though.
Reeza
Super User
Did you delete the myfolders folder at some point during the reinstallation?
GenDemo
Quartz | Level 8
no. Not that I am aware of.
I tried updating the Virtualbox image and it said it couldnt overwrite the existing files.
So I deleted the old image.
Then when trying to load the new one, it said that there are still files from the previous instance that it can't update.
So then I deleted that folder, and reloaded the image.
JackHamilton
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

It sounds like you didn't follow the instructions when you installed it the first time.

Reeza
Super User
I'm guessing you somehow put the myfolders in the same folder as the image and deleted it that way.

When you create your myfolders folder, make sure it's somewhere on your local drive and that you don't delete it next time.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 4 in conversation