BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
vtodorov
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello guys , 

I represent Team SAS administration, without access to SAS Server. We are advised by SAS Support for restarting our server, so here is my question. Without being able to verify the processes of Windows, how can I see which servers should stop / start during the procedure (if you use bat files to restart the servers).
I saw that SAS servers can be started as a simple service of Windows, but this configuration should be done during the installation of SAS. In this case, if we restart the Windows server , all SAS services will automatically start as well. As I mentioned, our team does not have access to SAS Windows server, so how can we be sure after restart, SAS servers will start automatically?
Best Regards ,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
vtodorov
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello guys ,
Working only with the BAT files and no access to the Windows server , we managed to restart all SAS related services.
After a quick discussion with System Administrator and information he shared with us , we managed to create 2nd procedure using Windows Services tool.
Thank you for the understanding and timespend.
Best Regards ,

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

When the SAS installation finishes, you get a link to a file (HTML) that contains instructions for post-installation tasks, including the startup scripts that need to be included in the system setup. Once that has been done by the system administrator, your SAS services should start automatically at system restart.

At least that's what I had to do on AIX (include some lines in /etc/inittab, and we were fine).

The SAS Mangement Console can be used to verify that the servers are up and running.

vtodorov
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello Mr. Bremser , 

I've checked the mentioned HTML file , but it does not contains any instructions about post-installation tasks. 
I'll contact with Sys Admins to verify if there is included SAS start up script in the system setup. 

Best Regards ,

Jagamohan
SAS Employee

HI, 

SAS services can stop/start from windowds command prompt and you can get the path from windowns services properties (best/easy way). Make sure to use SAS installer ID to do this.

Please find the below best practice for SAS service start up.

1. SAS services should stop/start by the SAS installer user.

2. Change the startup type in Windows services to manual from automatic as, there are dependancies between services.

3. Always follow the startsup sequence.

Thanks

SASKiwi
PROC Star

You say SAS Server - does that mean you only have one SAS server? If you have multiple SAS servers then they need to be started in the right order: metadata, then application, then mid-tier server.

Also I suggest that trying to do SAS administration without server access is like a boxer stepping into the ring for a fight with one hand tied behind his back - you are at a big disadvantage.

vtodorov
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi, 

I do not disagree on this , but we are 3rd party and  this is our customer politics .
So i guess we have to do our best to win the fight with one hand only .

Best Regards 

vtodorov
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello guys , 

Thank you for the help.
We stopped on this scenario :

Stop all SAS Servers with the BAT files such as ...SASMeta/MetadataServer/MetadataServer.bat -stop/start .

Before we create our final procedure of restarting all SAS Servers , we need just one clarification - does SASMeta/sas.bat do the same as ...SASMeta/MetadataServer/MetadataServer.bat -start  invocation . 

Best Regards 

vtodorov
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello guys ,
Working only with the BAT files and no access to the Windows server , we managed to restart all SAS related services.
After a quick discussion with System Administrator and information he shared with us , we managed to create 2nd procedure using Windows Services tool.
Thank you for the understanding and timespend.
Best Regards ,

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation