BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Djones4822
Obsidian | Level 7

I'm following the instructions here: http://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=bimtag&docsetTarget=n0nakjyj6hlqmvn11p9p04l25j9n.htm&docsetVe...

I'm struggling to start the server, however, after making the first 5 changes. I followed the steps exactly but when run `<conf>/Lev1/Web/Scripts/WebServer/appsrvconfig.sh start` to restart my webserver I am given this error: 

Please check the running status from the log files in the directory /sas/config/Lev1/Web/Scripts/WebServer/logs for more details.
Latest backup file of sas.conf is: sas.conf.2018-03-08-11.12.21
[exec] Result: 1
An unexpected error occurred. Please refer to the log for more details.

When i look in the tail of the log, I see the this error: Caused by: java.lang.Exception: start failed with return code 1

I think this is a problem with my httpd-ssl.conf file that isn't set correctly. I was given 3 certificates and a private key. my certificates are the trustred root, the intermediary, and my server. I followed the instructions here and concatenated my 3 certs into a single chain file. I then configured it as follows:

SSLCertificateFile "ssl/sas_server_key.crt"
SSLCertificateKeyFile "ssl/prvtkey.pem"
SSLCertificateChainFile "ssl/certchain.pem"

Does anyone see where I went wrong and why I would get that java lang exception? 

1 REPLY 1
PaulHomes
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Manually setting up TLS involves lots of steps and there are several places where it could go wrong. We can provide some guidance in this forum, but for complex things like this, my recommendation would be to get some help from SAS Professional Services or a SAS Partner in your region (who have done this many times before).

You have changed the config and hopefully restarted the SAS Web Server so have a look in the recent log files in /opt/sas94m5/config/Lev1/Web/WebServer/logs to see if there are any obvious messages.

Is the SAS Web Server running and listening on the expected HTTPS port? You could check using:

netstat -lntp | grep 8343

If it is running, then I would inspect the certificates it is using the command:

openssl s_client -showcerts -connect sasserver.example.com:8343

... then Control-D to exit and inspect the response to make sure it is sending what you expect.

You should also check the various SAS Web App Server logs e.g.

• /opt/sas94m5/config/Lev1/Web/Logs/SASServer1_1
  • /opt/sas94m5/config/Lev1/Web/WebAppServer/SASServer1_1/logs

... and see if there are any obvious recent error messages in those.

Those are a few things to start with. I hope it helps.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation