BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
L2Fly
Pyrite | Level 9

Hello,

What I am trying to do is to create two different EG deployment profiles for our SAS users.  We have two environments, Dev and Prod.  All users will have access to Prod but only some will have access to Dev.  After reading SAS document I was going to use “Create a Shared Profile Deployment with Automatic Updates” method to create a profile and place it in a central location where all SAS users have read access to.  

But I noticed if I go this route then I am going to have a profile with two connections one for Dev and one for Prod and I am sure it is going to confuse users not having access to Dev. 

Any suggestion’s/documents much appreciated.

thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
nhvdwalt
Barite | Level 11

Pleasure.

Personally I'm hesitant to have shared things like profiles, since the network share where these are stores might not always be available, but that's just me.

From experience I've found that 98% of the analytics/reporting user base will only need access to one environment. The other 2% might need access to maybe two environments for things like UAT testing, etc. So in short, for each user to define a profile per environment has never been an issue. In the past I've created a one-pager PDF that shows step by step what to do and never had any comebacks.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
nhvdwalt
Barite | Level 11

Hi @L2Fly

If you're DEV and PROD are on two different hosts and ports, then you are going to have two profiles either way.

Please could you just eloaborate a bit more on your requirements.

Thanks,

L2Fly
Pyrite | Level 9

Thank you @nhvdwalt for your reply.  

Our dev environment and prod are on two different hosts but same port number.  I found this document https://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/bidaag/69847/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p0yy6siuqppzmon1vf... in regards to what I like to do. 

I will go through this document and will try it out.  Have you done something like this before?

thanks again

nhvdwalt
Barite | Level 11

Pleasure.

Personally I'm hesitant to have shared things like profiles, since the network share where these are stores might not always be available, but that's just me.

From experience I've found that 98% of the analytics/reporting user base will only need access to one environment. The other 2% might need access to maybe two environments for things like UAT testing, etc. So in short, for each user to define a profile per environment has never been an issue. In the past I've created a one-pager PDF that shows step by step what to do and never had any comebacks.

L2Fly
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi @nhvdwalt,

thanks so much for your info.  In our environment everything depends on our network connection and for that reason we have a very good reliable setup here but I assume there are always a chance.  thanks again for your info.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation