BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Timmy2383
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hello all!  We recently got a trial license for Data Administration suite of tools.  I'm new to this suite of tools (DataFlux Data Management Studio and DI Studio), but am slowly figuring them out.

One thing I've noticed so far when testing Data Management Studio is that when I'm logged in as a typical user I cannot see the Data Management Data Server on the "Data Management Servers" riser.  However, if I log in as the admin account (sasadm@saspw) I can then see it.

If I look at the authorization tab for the server objects all those in SASUSERS group has RM privileges, so I'm not sure why I can't see them when logged in as regular user.  

For refence, see the attached screenshots.AdminUserView.pngRegularUserView.png

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Timmy2383
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
I figured this out with TS's help. It looks like when you log in to DM Studio and authenticate to the metadata server it doesn't pass on the typed user ID to the host authentication provide (in our case it's PAM), but rather uses the value that is stored in metadata as the user's external account ID. In our case, all users are entered into LDAP in lowercase (which is how I type it into applications) but the external ID in metadata was all upper case, so it wasn't recognizing the ID being passed on for authentication. I could change the external account to all lowercase in metadata and then it worked fine. A strange quirk of DM studio.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Timmy2383
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Yea, I've been digging through the documentation and haven't found anything that works yet. It would seem that since I'm authenticating with the metadata server that it's a metadata permissions issue, but I'm sure there's some other piece of this that I'm missing. Thank you!
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Indeed, in your case, metadata permissions is part of it, and you need to ensure also that the Data Management Server has permissions as well.

Problem is that, unless you have a Consultant connected to your system, it is not easy to support you on this question. It is required to check and validate each component and authorizations.

If you do not manage to make it work in short term, perhaps it would be an idea to involve SAS Technical Support or SAS Consulting Services.

Timmy2383
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
I figured this out with TS's help. It looks like when you log in to DM Studio and authenticate to the metadata server it doesn't pass on the typed user ID to the host authentication provide (in our case it's PAM), but rather uses the value that is stored in metadata as the user's external account ID. In our case, all users are entered into LDAP in lowercase (which is how I type it into applications) but the external ID in metadata was all upper case, so it wasn't recognizing the ID being passed on for authentication. I could change the external account to all lowercase in metadata and then it worked fine. A strange quirk of DM studio.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation