BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Angelworks
Calcite | Level 5

On some servers I get an error while deploying SAS Foundation silently:

2019-09-04 14:09:01 Controller - An error occurred during processing:
2019-09-04 14:09:01 Controller - There is a problem with the package being installed: Error extracting file entry sashost.dll from zip
Additional information about the task which threw the exception is shown below:
Extract task: file=>C:\Windows\ccmcache\3b\Files\product_data\base__94110_cd746__wx6__en__sp0__1\en.xml, source=>.
2019-09-04 14:09:01 Controller - com.sas.tools.installs.it.InstallException: Error extracting file entry sashost.dll from zip

Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASFoundation\9.4\sashost.dll (The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process)

While applying hotfixes it complains that the SASHost.dll is in use by another process. The OS is Windows Server 2012 R2. If I install it by hand - it complains via the ui, and I can kill off the svchost.exe that has a handle open on sashost.dll click retry and the install completes. Obviously I can't install all of these by hand.

Worse some servers it did finish.

I tested it on a client OS as well - Windows 10 and it failed in the same manner. I attached the install log (with some info excised) on one of the machines that did this issue.

I did talk to tech support, but they didn't seem to know what was wrong...

15 REPLIES 15
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Did you make any progress with this? If you repeat the install does it produce the same errors? Does the Windows event log show any errors related to this?

Angelworks
Calcite | Level 5

I haven't - I've seen the problem in our environment on select machines - and when it does happen it seems to be reproducible every time on that particular client or server.

For the server install - just to get it going I logged into each node - ran the install interactively and when the ui popped up to complain about a locked file I used sys-internals procmon to close the sashost.dll handle - and then clicked retry which completed the install.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

I suggest you persevere with SAS Tech Support. They are in the best position to diagnose this,

Angelworks
Calcite | Level 5

Yeah I'll poke them again when I see it again - my most recent rollout of this last weekend actually went perfectly.

SimonDawson
SAS Employee
This is almost certainly either someone is running a SAS application or your AV happened to scan the file as SDW attempted to update it.

Is it continuously doing this?
Angelworks
Calcite | Level 5

Our servers where this was happening most frequently are just running Windows Defender (pretty much out of the box AV). When doing the install the machines were in maintenance mode - so no-one was logged in or allowed to log in. I do notice the issue occurs when setup is applying hotfixes (and after the initial setup has installed and started various services).

The problem seemed to occur far more frequently on physical machines - the biggest difference there being more cpu's and way more ram (128 gigs instead of 4 gigs)

DanielKaiser
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi,

we have the same Problem here for our SAS Analytics Pro Installation on the Client PCs.

Using W10 with McAfee as AV.
The lock occurs when I start the SDM to uninstall the SAS-Software (after reading this I am pretty sure an hotfix-apply might cause the same Problem)

The svchost-process thats holds the log is the Windows EventLog.

A support track is already opened. Waiting for a solution. This is really a showstopper here.

alexal
SAS Employee

@DanielKaiser ,

What is your SAS Technical Support Tracking number?

Angelworks
Calcite | Level 5

Good luck - I've written them twice about it and got really nowhere.

Case numbers 7612807798 and 7612172702

DanielKaiser
Pyrite | Level 9

Well... SAS Global Support was disappointing. SGS says it can be AVS regarded - but we deactivate it while the (un)install tasks. 

So they have no idea what is the cause. Also they thing a workaround is enough as solution. Not very professional. 

I still insist it is a problem of the Deployment Manager that should be resolved. 

We found our own workarounds.

Both work.

1) Delete the the sashost.dll before you do any uninstall tasks. 

2) Remove the RegKey and reboot. Then retry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\Application\SAS\EventMessageFile data: C:\Program Files\SASHOME2\SASFoundation\9.4\sashost.dll type: REG_SZ 

anitha_panneer
SAS Employee

can you try

setup.exe –skiplockcheck
DanielKaiser
Pyrite | Level 9

Sorry for my late response. I will try this out. I first have to remove the workaround from the installationroutine.

DanielKaiser
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi @anitha_panneer,

I tried that parameter - no I get even more errors regarding the sashost.dll

2020-01-23 10:48:37    Controller - An error occurred during processing:  
2020-01-23 10:48:37    Controller - There is a problem with the package being installed:  Error extracting content from zip file en.zip
Extract task:  file=>C:\Users\ap7r4\AppData\Local\Temp\_setup1\hotfixes\extracted\product_data\base__D9T033__wx6__en__sp0__1\en.xml, source=>.
2020-01-23 10:48:37    Controller - com.sas.tools.installs.it.InstallException: Fehler beim Extrahieren der Inhalte aus Zip-Datei en.zip
	at com.sas.tools.installs.it.tasks.ExtractTask.handleEntryData(ExtractTask.java:565)
	at com.sas.tools.installs.it.tasks.ExtractTask.execute(ExtractTask.java:428)
	at com.sas.tools.installs.it.Controller.executeScript(Controller.java:2927)
	at com.sas.tools.installs.it.ExecutionThread.run(ExecutionThread.java:80)
Caused by: com.sas.tools.installs.it.InstallException: Fehler beim Extrahieren von Dateieintrag sashost.dll aus Zip-Archiv
	at com.sas.tools.installs.it.tasks.ExtractTask.handleExtraction(ExtractTask.java:687)
	at com.sas.tools.installs.it.tasks.ExtractTask.handleEntryData(ExtractTask.java:542)
	... 3 more
Caused by: com.sas.tools.installs.it.InstallException: 
	at com.sas.tools.installs.it.schema.metadata.EntryData.performBackupForTask(EntryData.java:871)
	at com.sas.tools.installs.it.tasks.ExtractTask.doBackup(ExtractTask.java:1077)
	at com.sas.tools.installs.it.tasks.ExtractTask.handleExtraction(ExtractTask.java:671)
	... 4 more

2020-01-23 10:48:37    Controller - Caused by:  
2020-01-23 10:48:37    Controller - Error extracting file entry sashost.dll from zip
2020-01-23 10:48:37    Controller - com.sas.tools.installs.it.InstallException: Fehler beim Extrahieren von Dateieintrag sashost.dll aus Zip-Archiv
	at com.sas.tools.installs.it.tasks.ExtractTask.handleExtraction(ExtractTask.java:687)
	at com.sas.tools.installs.it.tasks.ExtractTask.handleEntryData(ExtractTask.java:542)
	at com.sas.tools.installs.it.schema.metadata.EntryData.performBackupForTask(EntryData.java:871)
	at com.sas.tools.installs.it.tasks.ExtractTask.handleExtraction(ExtractTask.java:671)
	... 4 more

2020-01-23 10:48:37    Controller - Failure moving C:\Program Files\SAS\SAS94_AP\SASFoundation\9.4\sashost.dll to C:\Program Files\SAS\SAS94_AP\SASFoundation\9.4\installs\base_wx6_9.4_M6_HFD9T033\SASHome\en\SASFoundation\9.4\sashost.dll for backup purposes
2020-01-23 10:48:37    Controller - com.sas.tools.installs.it.InstallException: 

2020-01-23 10:48:37    Controller - There is a problem with the package being installed:  Error extracting file entry sashost.dll from zip
Extract task:  file=>C:\Users\ap7r4\AppData\Local\Temp\_setup1\hotfixes\extracted\product_data\base__D9T033__wx6__en__sp0__1\en.xml, source=>.
2020-01-23 10:48:37    Controller - com.sas.tools.installs.it.InstallException: Fehler beim Extrahieren von Dateieintrag sashost.dll aus Zip-Archiv
	... 4 more

2020-01-23 10:48:37    Controller - Failure moving C:\Program Files\SAS\SAS94_AP\SASFoundation\9.4\sashost.dll to C:\Program Files\SAS\SAS94_AP\SASFoundation\9.4\installs\base_wx6_9.4_M6_HFD9T033\SASHome\en\SASFoundation\9.4\sashost.dll for backup purposes

2020-01-23 10:48:37    Controller - An error has been encountered that cannot be corrected
The details of the error are shown below.
Fehler beim Extrahieren von Dateieintrag sashost.dll aus Zip-Archiv
2020-01-23 10:48:37    SSNResource - No localization resources defined for key #ZipExtractor.FileRemovalError.  Skipping Resolution.
2020-01-23 10:48:37    Controller - Error rolling back task:

2020-01-23 10:48:37    Controller - There is a problem that seems to be related to the system running the install:  Error restoring files
2020-01-23 10:48:37    Controller - com.sas.tools.installs.it.InstallException: Fehler beim Wiederherstellen von Dateien
	at com.sas.tools.installs.it.tasks.ExtractTask.rollback(ExtractTask.java:1554)
	at com.sas.tools.installs.it.Controller.rollbackStartingWithTask(Controller.java:3420)
	at com.sas.tools.installs.it.Controller.handleRuntimeError(Controller.java:3042)
	at com.sas.tools.installs.it.Controller.executeScript(Controller.java:2934)
	at com.sas.tools.installs.it.schema.metadata.EntryData.performRestoreForTask(EntryData.java:757)
	at com.sas.tools.installs.it.tasks.ExtractTask.handleRestoration(ExtractTask.java:719)
	at com.sas.tools.installs.it.tasks.ExtractTask.rollback(ExtractTask.java:1536)
	... 4 more

2020-01-23 10:48:37    Controller - UnableToRemove C:\Program Files\SAS\SAS94_AP\SASFoundation\9.4\sashost.dll
	at com.sas.tools.installs.it.schema.metadata.EntryData.performRestoreForTask(EntryData.java:757)
	at com.sas.tools.installs.it.tasks.ExtractTask.handleRestoration(ExtractTask.java:719)
	at com.sas.tools.installs.it.tasks.ExtractTask.rollback(ExtractTask.java:1536)
	at com.sas.tools.installs.it.Controller.rollbackStartingWithTask(Controller.java:3420)
	at com.sas.tools.installs.it.Controller.handleRuntimeError(Controller.java:3042)
	at com.sas.tools.installs.it.Controller.executeScript(Controller.java:2934)

2020-01-23 10:48:37    Controller - Rollback complete.  The system has been reverted to its original form
2020-01-23 10:48:37    Controller - Rollback of the install has completed, but some errors were encountered during rollback, so we can't be sure that your system is exactly as it was prior to the install.  Please contact SAS technical support and send them the log linked below
2020-01-23 10:48:37    HeadlessView - Install failed and rollback was not successful, exiting with error code -4
2020-01-23 10:48:37    ExecutionThread - Exception in ExecutionThread run:  java.lang.Exception: Install failed and rollback was not successful, exiting with error code -4
2020-01-23 10:48:37    ExecutionThread - ExecutionThread run complete

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 7 in conversation