BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
barnesd
Calcite | Level 5

I want to reinstall my version of SAS 9.3, something went wrong when I installed it and it's missing some features.

The problem is I cannot launch the Deployment Manager or uninstall from the control panel. Nothing happens when I try either of these things. I've searched for the solution and one issue that seems to come up is the version of Java, so I have JDK 1.6.0_24 installed, and the sassw.config file is pointing to the correct java.exe -

"JREHOME=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.6.0_24\bin\java.exe".

I've also tried the uninstall tool that was meant for SAS 9.2 but it doesn't seem to work properly for 9.3, the list of installed programs doesn't populate.

So any help with how to get the Deployment Manager to launch, or any other method to remove SAS from my laptop, would be much appreciated!

Edit - I'll just add I'm using a HP ProBook 430 G1, no servers or anything involved.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mark_sas
SAS Employee

Try *installing* a product (any product) to see if that fixes your SAS Deployment Manager deployment.  Then re-try your uninstall for all products.

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Mark_sas
SAS Employee

Try *installing* a product (any product) to see if that fixes your SAS Deployment Manager deployment.  Then re-try your uninstall for all products.

barnesd
Calcite | Level 5

Ok thanks for your advice I'll try it out.

Bit late now but just confirming this worked so thanks a lot for your help. Ran the installer again, it fixed Deployment Manager, I uninstalled and reinstalled and now everything is working as intended.

sasprofile
Quartz | Level 8

Hi barnsed,

even I have same problem on both my machines.

SAS EG 5.1 is installed on my machine and its working fine.but when I tried to run sasdm.exe for SAS Deployment manager to apply hot fixes it wont open. Java Jre 1.6.0_44 1.6.0_22 1.6.0_24 are installed on my machine.

I tred several ways but still the issue not fixed.

plese any help woudl really appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Did you check that your JREHOME is pointing at 1.6.0_24 as explained above?

If that doesn't help check out the links here:

https://communities.sas.com/t5/Administration-and-Deployment/SAS-9-3-Deployment-Manager-not-Running/...

skridler
Calcite | Level 5

SAS no longer provides licenses for version 9.3, so I'm trying to uninstall to upgrade to 9.4, but the Deployment Manager won't launch. Without a valid license for 9.3, I can't stasrt to re-install it, even just for the purpose of getting the Deployment Manager to launch.

I tried installing the older JRE, but it didn't help, even after uninstalling the current Java. Most threads lead back to instructions that include using the Deployment Manager, which would not launch. I don't think the procedure mentioned above, at http://support.sas.com/kb/49/059.html would work, because current licenses are no longer available. I had to resort to using the manual instructions at the following page. 

http://support.sas.com/kb/37/352.html 

(I also posted this comment in the following, similar discussion. https://communities.sas.com/t5/forums/editpage/board-id/sas_admin/message-id/3557)

This will probably come up again for others I support, so any tips are welcome!

Mark_sas
SAS Employee

It's possible that your SAS Deployment Manager installation was still pointing to the wrong Java version.  That would certainly cause it to fail to launch.  I would advise you to call Tech Support if you encounter this behavior on other users' machines.

skridler
Calcite | Level 5

Mark:

Thanks for your reply. However, I did check the file "C:\Program Files\SASHome\sassw.config" and the first line was as follows.

JREHOME=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe

I'm new at this kind of thing, and at first, I didn't fully understand those instructions posted by Macaraeg on 0-11-2013. In case this helps anyone else, I made the following notes for myself that I think are easier to read.

(Make sure the first line points to the installed, compatible version. In the entry below, it had been changed to “jre7”.)

JREHOME=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe   

SASHOME=C:\Program Files\SASHome

DPLMTREGLOC=C:\Program Files\SASHome\deploymntreg

SASENVIRONMENTSURL=

VJRHOME=C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASVersionedJarRepository

(After installing java 1.6u24, if the first line says “jre7” then manually change it to “jre6” as shown below.)

JREHOME=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe

SASHOME=C:\Program Files\SASHome

DPLMTREGLOC=C:\Program Files\SASHome\deploymntreg

SASENVIRONMENTSURL=

VJRHOME=C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASVersionedJarRepository

After making sure it says “jre6”, save it and reboot, then see if the Deployment Manager will launch to uninstall SAS 9.3.

twocanbazza
Quartz | Level 8

SAS Should be able to provide you a 9.3 license

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 6 in conversation