BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
BruceBrad
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I'm an experienced SAS Foundation user who is bewildered by all the new SAS features. I'm working with some base SAS programs with large data files and data steps that take too long to execute. I'm hoping to take advantage of some of the data step parallelisation options in SAS CAS (on a single multi-core Windows machine). Can someone point me to an introduction? What do I need to have licenced to use this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anand_V
Ammonite | Level 13

CAS is the engine that does the data crunching in the new SAS Viya platform. You will have to license bare minimum Viya in order to use CAS. SAS Viya has two deployment types: Full & Programming only. Based on your requirements you can license a full blown or a programming only platform.

This document page gives a quick introduction about it.

https://go.documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=viyaov&docsetTarget=n00000sasviya000architecture.htm&docs...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anand_V
Ammonite | Level 13

CAS is the engine that does the data crunching in the new SAS Viya platform. You will have to license bare minimum Viya in order to use CAS. SAS Viya has two deployment types: Full & Programming only. Based on your requirements you can license a full blown or a programming only platform.

This document page gives a quick introduction about it.

https://go.documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=viyaov&docsetTarget=n00000sasviya000architecture.htm&docs...

BruceBrad
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thanks. That's helpful. I think we currently have the Education Analytical Suite licenced for our university. Looks like Viya is not included. No chance of getting the university to fork out more $ in the current climate. So I'll forget about CAS.

Are there other data step parallelisation systems in SAS? What is DS2? Is that licenced with Base SAS?

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation