BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
JuanDaniel
Quartz | Level 8

Hi!

I am new in SAS, i was working with others ETL solutions but i dont know what is the best method to work with SAS.

I have 1 SAS office Analytics Server and in my local PC i have 1 Enterprise Guide. What is the best pratices to configure 2 environments (test and production)?

If i need change data source from diferents database (also DEV and PRO) how i can change easy from one source to another when i develop in SAS enterprise GUIDE? Only can i do this with scripts or i can configure something in the server for do this task?

I saw an example project and the way that is doing this process is defining 1 variable for go to DEV libraries or to go to PRO libraries? Something like this:

IF environment = DEV

LIBNAME A = 1

ELSE

LIBNAME B = 2

It 's a good practice?

Thx

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @JuanDaniel,

my best recommendation would be to create a new deployment. You have now a SAS/Config/Lev1, where you have defined everything for Production. I would do a similar deployment, but on SAS/Config/Lev2, which you can name as Development or Test. This deployment would create a new metadata server, where your code and developments would be separated from Production.

The reason because I am saying this is because if you deploy a new Lev2, or you just create a new SAS Application Server (SASApp, which will have a different name, say, SASAppTest), in both cases you will need to deploy new services and you will need to do it through the SAS Deployment Manager. To do the same but completely separated metadata is almost no additional effort, but I think the quality is much better, specially since I understand you are still learning about SAS and the administration of SAS Metadata permissions might be a skill to develop, while the Partial Promotion (to move stuff from Lev2 to Lev1) is much easier to manage and to learn.

If you don't feel comfortable with deploying a Lev2, you can request 1-2 consulting days, probably that would be enough to deploy this new environment.

Hope it helps,

Kind regards,

Juan

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Unfortunately the questions you are asking should have been discussed prior to installing not after. It's a lot easier to set up separate SAS environments at install time not afterwards.

Since you only have one SAS Compute server I suggest the best option would be to run two SAS workspace servers, one for Prod and one for Dev. Then you should also set up separate disk storage for each environment. Once you have separate storage set up then I suggest to define the SAME SAS libraries on both your Prod and Dev environments. Set up your LIBNAMEs in metadata -SMC- one set pointing at Prod and an identical set pointing at Dev That way you don't have to code for it in your programs nor do you have change your code as both Prod and Dev have the same libraries.

Since you are new to SAS I would highly recommend seeking some help from SAS consultants specializing in SAS installation / administration. It will be much quicker to implement best practices with such help.

JuanDaniel
Quartz | Level 8

Thx for your response! @SASKiwi

The installation was made by a SAS employee. How can I choose the workspace when I develop in Enterprise Guide?

Thank you!

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Best practice för developing ETL in SAS is using Data Integration Studio.
Enterprise Guide is mainly for ad hoc reporting or end user analytics work.
Data never sleeps
JuanDaniel
Quartz | Level 8
@LinusH I dont decide the software in the enterprise :S

I know the DI it’s the SAS’s ETL software but the price is higher than EG.

I only search the best way to work with EG.

Thx!
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Create a new application server for dev; use the same logical libnames (with different physical paths) in that server, and make sure the same authorization as in SASApp is applied. Then you will see the new server in the EG server list.

Given that you are completely new to this, you MUST have help from your SAS consultant. Setting up a new application server is not trivial.

AndrewHowell

Hi there,

You are an Enterprise Guide user, but I'm not sure from your post just how much administrative functionality you have (although you have indicated you would like to "configure" Dev & Prod scenarios).

If you have admin capability, I'd concur about setting up Dev & Prod application server contexts; alternatively if you have SAS/Grid, then set up separate Dev & Prod Grid Options sets on the one application server context.

However, if you don't have admin privileges and would like to configure (or emulate?) Dev & Prod scenarios - there is a feature in Enterprise Guide itself which may help: if you have a Process Flow labelled "Autoexec", then the tasks/code within that process flow will run each time the EG project is opened. In your case, you could have your Dev/Prod configuration (libnames, etc) set up in the Autoexec process flow; other process flows contain the actual logic of the project; then to "promote" the project from Dev to Prod simply update the Autoexec configuration.

Anyway, to help us help you, please let us know if you have admin capabilities, SAS/Grid, etc - the more information you can provide, the better.

JuanDaniel
Quartz | Level 8

@AndrewHowell I have admin privileges, add a SAS application server is an easy task?

Sorry for the ignorance, what is SAS/Grid?

Thx

AndrewHowell

SAS/Grid - load balancing across multiple servers, high-availability, job scheduling. For more information, click here..

But if you don't know what it is, then you don't have it or if you do then you're unlikely to be authorised to configure it.

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @JuanDaniel,

my best recommendation would be to create a new deployment. You have now a SAS/Config/Lev1, where you have defined everything for Production. I would do a similar deployment, but on SAS/Config/Lev2, which you can name as Development or Test. This deployment would create a new metadata server, where your code and developments would be separated from Production.

The reason because I am saying this is because if you deploy a new Lev2, or you just create a new SAS Application Server (SASApp, which will have a different name, say, SASAppTest), in both cases you will need to deploy new services and you will need to do it through the SAS Deployment Manager. To do the same but completely separated metadata is almost no additional effort, but I think the quality is much better, specially since I understand you are still learning about SAS and the administration of SAS Metadata permissions might be a skill to develop, while the Partial Promotion (to move stuff from Lev2 to Lev1) is much easier to manage and to learn.

If you don't feel comfortable with deploying a Lev2, you can request 1-2 consulting days, probably that would be enough to deploy this new environment.

Hope it helps,

Kind regards,

Juan

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 9 likes
  • 6 in conversation