BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
DBailey
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I'm looking for some information on how we might customize the batch log location by user.  We have a fairly large installation and scheduled work flows use the default $BATCh_LOGPATH unless each job is customized at time of scheduling.  That works....but it is a bit of a pain and is subject to being reset by accidental clicks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hi,

my first approach for what you need, would to to create new BatchServers, each batch server with a new default log directory.

If you have different departments due to a big SAS environment, I would go even one step further: to create different SASApps for each department, which would provide good independency and security for departments from each other.

Some other option, and under the supposition you use LSF/Platform Computing for the scheduling. If that is the case, you could try to use Global Variables in the Process Manager to set up the log directories per department.

Regards,

Juan

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Please let us know more.
Is a traditional IP w/ DI Studio jobs? Since I'm not familiar with the term "work flow".
Also, do you use the variable or its resolved value in default search pass? Not really getting that you wish to change the variable value, but it would still be subject for accidental clicking, no?
And what is the the pain? It doesn't sound crucial to have logs on the correct location, more of a hygiene factor (and part of system test ib case of change).
Data never sleeps
DBailey
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

We have what I would consider to be a fairly large (300+ users) grid environment across 10 or so different departments.  Many of the users automate their processes by creating Flows in Management Console schedule manager. When trying to troubleshoot, it is sometimes difficult to find the right log file when all of the logs get put in the same location ($BATCH_LOGPATH).  

The path can be changed manually (a minor pain in itself) when adding a job to a flow, but an accidental click resets the location to $BATCH_LOGPATH.  

I'm looking for how to set the $BATCH_LOGPATH variable by user so that the logs can be segregated by department.

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hi,

my first approach for what you need, would to to create new BatchServers, each batch server with a new default log directory.

If you have different departments due to a big SAS environment, I would go even one step further: to create different SASApps for each department, which would provide good independency and security for departments from each other.

Some other option, and under the supposition you use LSF/Platform Computing for the scheduling. If that is the case, you could try to use Global Variables in the Process Manager to set up the log directories per department.

Regards,

Juan

DBailey
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thanks...I'll forward this to the admins for evaluation.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Setting up separate SASApp is a MAJOR design decision. It affects a lot of things, down to access to individual data sets. So I wouldn't recommend that I found you don't haveany other requirements that should point in thar direction. Perhaps different SASBatchServers is a sufficient compromise?
Data never sleeps
DBailey
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I think they are going to look at setting $BATCH_LOGPATH different for the different users.

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Sounds good. Thanks for the feedback Smiley Happy

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Indeed, setting up different SASApps is a major architectural decision. Just pointed up to the functional requirement regarding department variables and security.

• To set different Batch Servers should suffice from a quick and tactical point of view (or to work with variables, but I prefer the Batch Servers option).
  • To set SASApps would be an strategical action.

Let me specify that the information provided it is just an overview of options.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation