BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Jim_Ogilvie
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

When working in batch mode on Windows, does SAS pick up the autoexe to assign libs etc in the same way on a SAS VA install, as it would on a SAS Analytics Pro install?

I hoping "Yes", or is there some kind of metadata server involvement that I need to consider?

Thanks

Jim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

@Jim_Ogilvie  - No, nothing so crude! The data libraries registered will be automatically created behind the scenes whenever you start a SAS session. If you also want these to work in SAS batch jobs then you also need to apply the "Pre-assign Library" option. Then it doesn't matter what type of SAS session you invoke, these SAS libraries will always be created.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
CarmineVerrell
SAS Employee

Hello,

Can you please give a bit more background please?  What type of environment are you running? Can you confirm what type of environment on windows are you using, desktop version or Server?

SASKiwi
PROC Star

I would consider it best practice to set up all common-used SAS data libraries in SAS metadata via SAS Management Console if we are talking about a SAS server-based installation. If these are pre-assigned, then they will work equally well in all types of SAS sessions, both batch and interactive.

Jim_Ogilvie
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks for this and yes this is a SAS server environment (Win).

I have worked in a previous SAS environment, where the metadata server was running, but where we had to assign libs at the top of our SAS programmes when running in batch mode...

In the scenario you describe, presumably the libraries set up in the management console get written to a SAS programme file, which can be referenced in the *.bat file?

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@Jim_Ogilvie  - No, nothing so crude! The data libraries registered will be automatically created behind the scenes whenever you start a SAS session. If you also want these to work in SAS batch jobs then you also need to apply the "Pre-assign Library" option. Then it doesn't matter what type of SAS session you invoke, these SAS libraries will always be created.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation