BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
MG18
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi All , 

I want to apply multiple hot fix in single deployment on SAS Grid environment. I am trying apply I9R071 and few hot fixes which doesn't have pre and post installation steps . 

But I am not sure on below points :-

Do I need apply this hot fixes on every sas server as  We have SAS META and MID on one Linux box . On Grid Manager on one Linux box and rest 3 nodes on different separate Linux boxes ?

7 REPLIES 7
gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
A hot fix must be applied for each SAS installation directory path that contains the product. On Linux typically the Grid shares a single SASHome, but Meta and Mid would have their own SAS installation directories. You can gather a deployment registry to determine which products are installed in a given SAS installation directory and use the SASHFADD tool to determine which hot fixes are available for those products that are not currently installed.

Usage Note 35968: Using the ViewRegistry Report and other methods to determine the software releases and hot fixes that are installed
https://support.sas.com/kb/35/968.html

SAS Hot Fix Analysis, Download and Deployment Tool (SASHFADD)
https://support.sas.com/en/technical-support/maintenance/hot-fixes/hot-fix-analysis-download-deploym...
--
Greg Wootton | Principal Systems Technical Support Engineer
MG18
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

@gwootton  Thank you for your reply .
I have generated View Registry report and Hot Fix report also. I have download all hotfixes on local machine as I was getting error while downloading to SAS server .
So If I understand correctly Product is Linux X64 then I have to apply it on every machine including all grid nodes or just to apply to only SAS meta ,Mid and manager as other 3 nodes are on shared path .

doug_sas
SAS Employee

If the same installation directory is shared between the metadata server machine, the mid-tier machine, and all of the grid machines, you would only need to install the hotfix once.

If the grid machines all share the same installation directory, but the metadata server and mid-tier have their own local (non-shared)  installation directory, then you would need to install it three times - once on the grid manager, once on the metadata server, and once on the mid-tier machine.

If all machines have their own local (non-shared) installation directory, you would need to install the hotfix on every machine.

MG18
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi @doug_sas ,

Thank you for your reply . Is there any way to know installation directory is shared between which servers ?

doug_sas
SAS Employee

You would need to determine if the installation directory is on a mounted file system from an external device or on a local device. Shared directories would be the same externally mounted file system on all machines and result in the same path to SAS modules on every machine.

An easy way to check is to copy a file to the installation directory and see if that file is present in the same location on all machines.

MG18
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

In addition to this all, 

Can we apply multiple hot fix in one go ? or I should run sasdm.sh for each hot fix .

Anand_V
Ammonite | Level 13
If you put all your hot-fixes in a single directory and select that directory from the sasdm wizard, it should be able to pick up all of the hot-fixes at one go. Applying the hot-fix at installation directory only completes one part of the hot-fix application. You will still have to go through the post-installation steps for each hot-fix in their document.

Usually the deployment of binaries will depend on the how the initial plan file was generated and used for deployment. So as others mentioned if it's a shared installation/home directory launching sasdm and applying the hot-fixes once will do the job. If your sashome is local to each server my advise would be to just launch the sasdm on each server and run the wizard just to verify if any hot-fixes are applicable to that server. In this way you can make sure nothing is missed.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 4 in conversation