BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
abdulh_Brit
Calcite | Level 5

Hi all,

My issue may be a normal issue for this community , but i am very very fresh user, just now deployed a sas va..

Yesterday i tried to log into EV console by using 'sasadm' user via 7080 port but could not able to log into the webpage. i have done several attempts .

At this moment i tried to launch './sasmc', but the account was locked and showing error

The Application could not log on the server "sas.hostname.co:8561". The user ID "sasadm@saspw" or the password is incorrect.

Access to this account ("sasadm") is locked due to excessive log on failures.

The applicaiton could not log on to the server "sas.hostname.com:8561".

The user id "sasadm@saspw" or the password inncorrect

Note:

Its in Linux Environment, i really do not know how to manage this issue, kindly update me with the proper commands.

Regards

Hamid

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Penguin
Calcite | Level 5

I know this thread is old but hope this helps someone out... This is confusing because it is the sasadm@saspw, the process is a bit more confusing.

This error message is because the sasadm@saspw account is locked out due to the number of failed authentication attempts with SAS Metadata server on sas.hostname.co which runs on port 8561 for TCP connections. However this is the SAS Metadata unrestricted administrator account, so resetting it is a bit unique. This is not an operating system level account, it a SAS Internal account, the password is updated by the SAS Deployment Manager. However you need to have the current password to reset it with the SDM or have another SAS Metadata user, for example sasdemo, who is also an unrestricted administrator. This does not exist by default, here is how you can reset it with the current password and without;

If you have the current password for the sasadm@saspw account and it is not locked, you can login to SAS Deployment Manager by launching /sashome/SASFoundation/9.X/sasdm.sh, selecting the update managed password option then choose to update the sasadm@saspw users password. When prompted for the SAS unrestricted administrator enter sasadm@saspw and password as usual. However you probably cannot do this because you don't have the password and/or locked out.

If you do not have the current password for sasadm@saspw or the account is locked out, locate a text file named adminUsers.txt which is probably in your Metadata servers config/Lev1/ directory somewhere. I forget exactly where it is but that should be the exact name of the file including capitalization.

If on Linux you can use these commands to find it;

locate adminUsers.txt (if available) or find /some_path/config/Lev1/ -name "adminUsers.txt"

Once you find it, you will need to edit the adminUsers.txt file to add a username of another existing SAS Metadata user account such as sasdemo if you set this up. In this file you will also see the sasadm@saspw account, do not remove the sasadm@saspw user.

After you edit adminUsers.txt, restart your Metadata server with the config/Lev1/SASMeta/MetadataServer/MetadataServer.sh restart command or config/Lev1/sas.servers restart script if you wish to reboot all SAS servers on this host.

Once at least the Metadata Server has restarted launch the sashome/SASDeploymentManager/9.X/sasdm.sh program. 

When logining into the SAS Deployment Manager and it asks you for the SAS unrestricted administrator (or sasadm@saspw) credentials, enter the username and password of the user account you added to adminUsers.txt. While I wouldn't recommend it, you could probably use this account to access SMC or ENV Manager at this time.

Then select the options to update managed passwords, select the sasadm@saspw account and continue through the SAS Deployment Manager until the password is updated. This will return the system to normal, now you can use the sasadm@saspw user account with the new password.

You will also probably want to remove the additional user from adminUsers.txt once completed then restart your Metadata Server to save the changes to adminUsers.txt. This user will return to normal functionality after Metadata is restarted.

This should work on all versions of SAS 9.3, SAS 9.4, and probably SAS 9.2.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Penguin
Calcite | Level 5

I know this thread is old but hope this helps someone out... This is confusing because it is the sasadm@saspw, the process is a bit more confusing.

This error message is because the sasadm@saspw account is locked out due to the number of failed authentication attempts with SAS Metadata server on sas.hostname.co which runs on port 8561 for TCP connections. However this is the SAS Metadata unrestricted administrator account, so resetting it is a bit unique. This is not an operating system level account, it a SAS Internal account, the password is updated by the SAS Deployment Manager. However you need to have the current password to reset it with the SDM or have another SAS Metadata user, for example sasdemo, who is also an unrestricted administrator. This does not exist by default, here is how you can reset it with the current password and without;

If you have the current password for the sasadm@saspw account and it is not locked, you can login to SAS Deployment Manager by launching /sashome/SASFoundation/9.X/sasdm.sh, selecting the update managed password option then choose to update the sasadm@saspw users password. When prompted for the SAS unrestricted administrator enter sasadm@saspw and password as usual. However you probably cannot do this because you don't have the password and/or locked out.

If you do not have the current password for sasadm@saspw or the account is locked out, locate a text file named adminUsers.txt which is probably in your Metadata servers config/Lev1/ directory somewhere. I forget exactly where it is but that should be the exact name of the file including capitalization.

If on Linux you can use these commands to find it;

locate adminUsers.txt (if available) or find /some_path/config/Lev1/ -name "adminUsers.txt"

Once you find it, you will need to edit the adminUsers.txt file to add a username of another existing SAS Metadata user account such as sasdemo if you set this up. In this file you will also see the sasadm@saspw account, do not remove the sasadm@saspw user.

After you edit adminUsers.txt, restart your Metadata server with the config/Lev1/SASMeta/MetadataServer/MetadataServer.sh restart command or config/Lev1/sas.servers restart script if you wish to reboot all SAS servers on this host.

Once at least the Metadata Server has restarted launch the sashome/SASDeploymentManager/9.X/sasdm.sh program. 

When logining into the SAS Deployment Manager and it asks you for the SAS unrestricted administrator (or sasadm@saspw) credentials, enter the username and password of the user account you added to adminUsers.txt. While I wouldn't recommend it, you could probably use this account to access SMC or ENV Manager at this time.

Then select the options to update managed passwords, select the sasadm@saspw account and continue through the SAS Deployment Manager until the password is updated. This will return the system to normal, now you can use the sasadm@saspw user account with the new password.

You will also probably want to remove the additional user from adminUsers.txt once completed then restart your Metadata Server to save the changes to adminUsers.txt. This user will return to normal functionality after Metadata is restarted.

This should work on all versions of SAS 9.3, SAS 9.4, and probably SAS 9.2.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation