BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
leech74
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

My organization is on 9.4 platform. We allow our power users to have direct access to the SAS data file on the host operating system. Typically, we grant access to each user only the data file they need to use. Now, I have a question about SAS View. If User A has a SAS Data file (which only User A has physical access) and User B has a SAS Data View (which is also a file which contain the code for the SAS DATA Step view). In the SAS Data View, the DATA Step will read from the SAS Data file belonging to User A. My question is, does User B need to have physical access to User A's SAS Data file on the host operating system.

3 REPLIES 3
SASKiwi
PROC Star

A user reading the DATA step view would need at least read access to the underlying SAS dataset it is based on otherwise the read attempt would fail with an error. If write access is also required then the user would need write permission.

Community_Help
SAS Employee

Hi there .. I have moved your discussion thread into the SAS Deployment community.

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

When you have your os controls to data organized there is no way SAS is able to overrule those.

OS control is not allowing the access views (sql or datastep) cannot gain access.

It is the same with logical links on the os level.

When you find a loophole than have the OS being bashed.

This is different when you believe the sas metadata security. That one is not having that nice restriction as it leaving OS controls wide open. Bypasses are to be found. Run your we services open on the same and you are expecting a data breach.

---->-- ja karman --<-----

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation