BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ansepans
Calcite | Level 5

I have a data set with patients who have all had four samples taken during surgery (sample1-sample4). I want to find out if there is an increased risk of sample2-sample4 being positive if the sample1 is positive. Also if there is an increased risk of sample3 and sample4 sample being positive if  sample2 is positive and so on.

I suppose I have to use proc mixed by I don't know how to do it. I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Thank you so much

ansepans

2 REPLIES 2
Norman21
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

From your description, Cochran's Q test might be appropriate:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/statug/66859/HTML/default/viewer.htm#statug_freq_example...

Norman.
SAS 9.4 (TS1M6) X64_10PRO WIN 10.0.17763 Workstation

StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

Since your response is binary (positive vs negative), PROC MIXED is definitely not what you want to use since it expects a normal response. Cochran's Q tests that the marginal probabilities (probability of positive in each sample) are equal, but since you seem to really be after assessing conditional probabilities (such as probability of positive in sample 4 given result in sample3), I don't think it is what you want either. One thing you could consider are transition models as described in this note

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation