BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
GreenTree1
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello,

In SAS, Is there a way to test for significance for a change in change? This may sound confusing but I will try my best to explain

following is a sketch,

years            % diff in car sales               p value for the diff in sales

2000 .           between 1998-2000            0.6

2% increase

2012             between 2000-2012            0.10

3% increase 

2014            between 2012-2014            0.002

6% increase

I  now want to know the significance of difference between the differences 1% (2%-3%) and  3% (3%-6%), Is there a better way to do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

This is commonly called "difference in difference" (DID). See this note that discusses estimating the DID. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

This is commonly called "difference in difference" (DID). See this note that discusses estimating the DID. 

GreenTree1
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you StatDave,

The note is very helpful. I read up on DID and it looks like it's based on comparing two groups (cases and controls) but what if I am looking at differences in one population such as an intervention that affects the entire population. In this case, a policy change that caused more people to buy a house

Another complexity is that the population is not the same during every period, so they may not serve as their own controls? Can I take

the groups before the policy change as controls and the ones after the change as cases assuming that they are exchangeable (I can do propensity score for that)?

period 1 ---------period2 ------ period3 ----(policy change)----period4

diff b/w house buyers for period1 and 2 =1% .     

diff b/w  house buyers for period 2-3 =2% .             

diff b/w housebuyers perriod 3-4= 5%

GreenTree1
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks for pointing to the right direction StatDave, I found some useful ways to do DID analysis in that document. looks like the two group assumption has to be there. I across some papers where the researchers split the same group into two. 

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation