BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
noetsi
Obsidian | Level 7

A very basic issue for someone unused to class statements. I worked with proc reg mainly in the past. I have data that is coded 1 if you are in a specific group (say age 25-44) and 0 otherwise. These are of course dummy variables. I do  in part.

CLASS

"Age 25 to 44"n (ref ="0")

and get  this parameter estimate. 

noetsi_0-1627505569911.png

If I understand correctly level 0 in the original data is the reference level and the mean difference (controlling for other variables) between level one and level 0 is 3014.736, that is level 1 is higher than level 0 (a terrible way to refer to a slope I know, but I just want to be sure I understand how the coding works). 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

That is correct. Equivalently, you could just not specify that variable in the CLASS statement.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

That is correct. Equivalently, you could just not specify that variable in the CLASS statement.

Reeza
Super User
If you had an age variable that was in categories it's usually normal to have an AGE variable with the different categories in a single variable and then use the CLASS statement. It doesn't make sense to create a bunch of 0/1 variables to use in the CLASS statement.
noetsi
Obsidian | Level 7
The variables were created by the federal agency we report to. They have split age into a series of categories all of which are dummy variables and I have to run analysis using their variable schema. That said I don't understand what this entails.

"If you had an age variable that was in categories it's usually normal to have an AGE variable with the different categories in a single variable and then use the CLASS statement."

The organization in question says they are doing lots of things that puzzle me such as doing fixed effect regression (as per the Allison book) with no panel data. 🙂
Reeza
Super User
Typically you don't usually have variables with the names Age14_20 Age21_25 that are 0/1 to include in a class statement. Instead you would have a single variable Age, that has the values: "14 to 20", "21 to 25" etc and specify a single reference level in your CLASS statement.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation