BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Well21
Calcite | Level 5

Hi everybody!

Below is the code and result I used to make mediation analysis. I want to know if the OR in proc causalmed has the same meaning as in logistic or cox analysis. That is, if OR <1, the variable plays a protection role on the result.

The problem is that while the HR of interested variable (homa) I put in the proc phreg is >1, the OR of the same variable I've got in proc causalmed is <1. Both of them are significant. And I wonder whether something goes wrong or how can I explain the result?

Thanks!

My code of proc causalmed:

proc causalmed data = homa;
class status(ref = first) drink smoke bmi cvd;
model status = AVGapnea homa;
mediator homa = AVGapnea;
covar drink smoke bmi cvd;
bootstrap CI (PERC) Nboot = 1000;
run;

My code of proc phreg:

proc phreg data = homa;
class drink smoke bmi cvd;
model time*status(0) = AVGapnea drink smoke bmi cvd homa/ risklimits = WALD;
run;

The results:

1.png

1.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SAS_Rob
SAS Employee

If there were no mediator effect and you were running a survival model in CAUSALMED (which can be done in SAS Viya) then I would expect the results to be similar.  But in this case you are trying to compare an odds ratio (that is adjusted for the mediator model) with a hazard ratio from a non-mediation model so no fair comparison could be made.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

Hello @Well21 ,

I think @SAS_Rob can answer this !

I am not very familiar with ( PROC ) CAUSALMED.

Thanks,

Koen

Well21
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks for your reply!
Still waiting for the answer...
sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

@Well21 wrote:

Still waiting for the answer...

They are just getting out of bed in the US.

Koen

SAS_Rob
SAS Employee

If there were no mediator effect and you were running a survival model in CAUSALMED (which can be done in SAS Viya) then I would expect the results to be similar.  But in this case you are trying to compare an odds ratio (that is adjusted for the mediator model) with a hazard ratio from a non-mediation model so no fair comparison could be made.

Well21
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks a lot!
I will try SAS Viya latter.
So I assume that the odds ratio of homa here can still be interpreted as the protecting factor for the main results? It's just against the clinical reality.
Anyway, thanks for your help!

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation