BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
mjkop56
Obsidian | Level 7

I'm conducting an analysis of survey data. The below tables (note - data is made up!!) shows, of each education category, the percentage of males and females. For example, of those with high school degree, 40% are male and 60% are female (40%+60% = 100%). The table also shows the standard errors and confidence intervals. The goal is really to just try to get at the reliability of the proportions. Two questions:

1. I'm not very familiar with SEs and CIs around proportions. Does it make sense to show the SEs and CIs around the proportions of females and males each individually when the proportion of female+male = 100%? Is there anything inherently wrong with this table?

2. Does it make sense to compare the CIs across any of these categories? I'm under the impression that one needs a statistical test to deduce statistical significance.

3. Thanks in advance for any help. (Note - cross posted to statsexchange but no responses)

Male Female
Education Weighted proportion SE 95% CI Weighted proportion SE 95% CI
Graduate or professional 70% 2.0% 64%-75% 30% 1.3% 25%-35%
Bachelors 65% 1.0% 45%-70% 35% 1.0% 30%-40%
Associate’s 55% 1.2% 50%-65% 45% 1.6% 40%-50%
Some college, no degree 45% 2.0% 40%-50% 55% 1.7% 50%-60%
HS graduate 40% 1.3% 30%-50% 60% 1.2% 55%-65%
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

I would expect to see such detail if I had 3 or more categories such as with race or age groups. If you have a strictly binomial proportion then would would expect the P of 1 to be 1-P of the other and the confidence limits to be similar. There might be just be sufficient rounding but I would expect for the first row with a CI of (64%-75%) to have the (25%-36%) for females and would disbelieve the 2nd, 3rd and 5th row CIs because of differences. The upper limit of one should be very close to 1-lowerlimit of the other.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ballardw
Super User

I would expect to see such detail if I had 3 or more categories such as with race or age groups. If you have a strictly binomial proportion then would would expect the P of 1 to be 1-P of the other and the confidence limits to be similar. There might be just be sufficient rounding but I would expect for the first row with a CI of (64%-75%) to have the (25%-36%) for females and would disbelieve the 2nd, 3rd and 5th row CIs because of differences. The upper limit of one should be very close to 1-lowerlimit of the other.

mjkop56
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you. The actual data in the table was made up, I was just trying to get feedback on the way of presenting the data. Does it make sense to show the CIs for both males and females here for each category of education? Is there anything wrong with this way of presenting the data? Is it better just to show the data for females only for example? (since you can deduce from that the data for males?)

SAS_Rob
SAS Employee

>>>2.Does it make sense to compare the CIs across any of these categories? I'm under the impression that one needs a statistical test to deduce statistical significance.

No, you should not compare the confidence intervals to see if they intersect when wanting to test for differences.  If you want to test for differences then you can use one of the approaches in this usage note

22565 - Testing for differences in a two-way table with a significant chi-square (sas.com)

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation