BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
csetzkorn
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

have a 3-way interaction model as follows:

Y = A + B + C + A*B + A*C + B*C + A*B*C

A is a dummy and B and C are centred continuous variables.

I am mainly interested in the parameters for BC and B. The interpretation of these parameters depends on the inclusion of AB*C and all 2-way interactions. I am using SAS and PROC GLMSELECT with selection=none, thus (IMHO) forcing the interactions to be included? 

For some data the p-values for the aforementioned interactions are above 0.05. Does that mean they are not ‘included’ and thus the interpretation of the aforementioned parameters changes?

Any feedback would be very much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

For some data the p-values for the aforementioned interactions are above 0.05. Does that mean they are not ‘included’ and thus the interpretation of the aforementioned parameters changes?

You will find statisticians who advise removing terms from the model where the p-values are above 0.05. You will find statisticians who advise the opposite. I find myself in the group who advises you to not remove these terms from the model.

Removing terms from the model requires you to re-fit the model, and yes then not only the interpretation of the model changes but the coefficients change as well.

As the other commenter said, if you include B*C in the model, then you need to make sure B and C individually are included.

--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Norman21
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I'm not quite sure what your are trying to do.

If you must have "AB*C and all 2-way interactions" in the model, then it sound like you must include everything in the model.

The P values are only indicating where you might like to make changes to the model.

Remember, if you include higher terms then you should include the lower terms (e.g. include A and B if you are going to keep A*B).

Norman.
SAS 9.4 (TS1M6) X64_10PRO WIN 10.0.17763 Workstation

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

You will find statisticians who advise removing terms from the model where the p-values are above 0.05. You will find statisticians who advise the opposite. I find myself in the group who advises you to not remove these terms from the model.

Removing terms from the model requires you to re-fit the model, and yes then not only the interpretation of the model changes but the coefficients change as well.

As the other commenter said, if you include B*C in the model, then you need to make sure B and C individually are included.

--
Paige Miller

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation