BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Zozo_star
Calcite | Level 5

I am regressing score(t)=b0 + b1score(t-1) + b2score(t-1)^2 + b3score(t-1)^3 where score(t-1) is previous score and score(t) is current score. I control for ethnicity, gender and year levels. I was expecting that b1 is positive to show that prior score predicts a positive relationship with current score. But my b1 is negative and b2 is positive and b3 is negative although the coeffcients are very small. How do I interepret b1 b2 and b3? 

1 REPLY 1
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Make sure that your values for score(t-1) have been re-centered on zero.  I think the signs are the result of squaring and cubing values so that there are very large values driving your fit. If you consider that the autoregression is actually a characteristic of the errors around the scores, which are assumed to be normal(0, sigma^2) this will make more sense.  

SteveDenham

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation