BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
dsuchoff1
Calcite | Level 5

I have a relatively small agronomic dataset that is normally distributed. We were not able to collect results from some plots in the field and thus have missing data. Should I be using a different estimation technique besides the default method=RSPL? Additionally, is it appropriate to allow for unbounded covariance parameters when analyzing an incomplete dataset?

Thank you,

David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

If the plots are missing at random RSPL is fine as a method.  If the missingness is not at random, multiple imputation is probably the best choice.

As far as negative variance components, see the rather long thread here https://communities.sas.com/t5/Statistical-Procedures/Interpreting-the-random-effect-solution-in-a-m... .  @WillTheKiwi makes some good points about negative estimates of variance components, which I still have some issues with (but only on theoretic grounds),

SteveDenham

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

If the plots are missing at random RSPL is fine as a method.  If the missingness is not at random, multiple imputation is probably the best choice.

As far as negative variance components, see the rather long thread here https://communities.sas.com/t5/Statistical-Procedures/Interpreting-the-random-effect-solution-in-a-m... .  @WillTheKiwi makes some good points about negative estimates of variance components, which I still have some issues with (but only on theoretic grounds),

SteveDenham

WillTheKiwi
Pyrite | Level 9

Why are you using Glimmix, if the data (i.e., the residuals) appear normally distributed? I know you can use Glimmix for such data, but why not Mixed, which probably gives you more control over the structure of the residuals and less convergence and infinite-likelihood problems. And I always use ddfm=Sat in Mixed, which seems to give sensible degrees of freedom for everything. As for negative variance, yeah, I don't have any problem with it. When a true variance is small and the uncertainty is large, sampling uncertainty can easily result in an observed negative variance, and even if the sample variance is positive, the only way you can get sensible confidence limits is to allow them (i.e., the lower  limit) to be negative.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation