BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
morichard
Calcite | Level 5

I'm a beginner trying my best to fit a multi-level model using complex survey data (American Community Survey microdata). My outcome is a binary variable at the person level, and my level two variable is metropolitan area (MSA). Ultimately, I hope to incorporate MSA-level predictors, but have not tried that yet. 

The following code runs, but I get the error " ". I've gotten that error with a few specifications, which is why I'm using "FASTQUAD," "qpoints=1" and "inititer=10" > these changes were all based on other guidance I found online on how to address this error. Clear that "FASTQUAD" is ignored, though.

proc glimmix data=tmp2.usa1y2021_diss inititer=10 method=quadrature(fastquad qpoints=1)INITGLM empirical=classical;

class MET2013;

model doubledup (descending) =

/dist=binary cl solution  link=logit obsweight=PERWT;

random intercept  / type=un subject=MET2013 weight=MET2013wgt;

run;

WARNING: Sandwich covariance estimator is not available with the FASTQUAD suboption.The FASTQUAD  suboption is ignored.

NOTE: The EMPIRICAL option for METHOD=QUAD adjusts the covariance matrix of the fixed effects and the covariance parameters. It also affects the prediction covariance matrix for the random effectssolutions.

NOTE: The GLIMMIX procedure is modeling the probability that doubledup='1'.

WARNING: The initial estimates did not yield a valid objective function.

--

I also found an example of someone using microdata with the following code, but this doesn't work for me. I thought it might be useful to go this route with something simpler, given the error I was receiving. This ran, but the results don't seem to be weighted to the population. Any help would be much appreciated! 

proc glimmix data=tmp2.usa1y2021_diss;
where MET2013 notin(0);
weight perwt;
class MET2013;
model doubledup (desc)=
/dist=binary link=logit ddfm=bw solution;
random intercept/subject= MET2013 solution;
run;

1 REPLY 1
jiltao
SAS Super FREQ

You might use the PARMS statement to specify a starting value for your covariance parameter to see if that helps. This might take several rounds of trial and error.

Jill

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 16. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation