BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Tol
Obsidian | Level 7 Tol
Obsidian | Level 7

Dear All,

I am trying to examine the effect of the fat intake at 30 years on the BMI change over 9 years.

My data had some dropouts which I wanted to account for using Proc GEE with Missmodel statement to calculate weights that are used for reducing biased estimates related to dropouts. I can see we need to create two variables (Prevy and Ctime) to prepare the analysis (SAS Help Center: Example 47.3 Weighted GEE for Longitudinal Data That Have Missing Values). But the explanation for creating Prevy is for the binary outcome (Amenorrhea status) in the previous three-month interval given this study was conducted every three months over a year at 4-time points (See the code below). My question is how can I create Prevy for a continuous outcome. Thank you in advance for your support.

Kind Regards,

Tolassa 

data Amenorrhea;
   set Amenorrhea;
   by ID;
   Prevy=lag(Y);
   if first.id then Prevy=0;
   Time=Time-1;
   Ctime=Time;
run;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SAS_Rob
SAS Employee

It does not matter what value you use as long as it is a valid value for the distribution of the response.  In other words, you could still use 0 as long as 0 is in the support set for the DIST= option even though you won't actually observe a 0 value.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

The code you present should work whether Y is continuous or categorical, I believe.

SteveDenham

Tol
Obsidian | Level 7 Tol
Obsidian | Level 7
Dear SteveDenham,

>From SAS Help Centre link above it reads "Prevy: the patient’s amenorrhea
status in the previous three-month interval. For the baseline visit, this
is set to an arbitrary nonmissing value (0 here). In this release of PROC
GEE, this arbitrary value must be nonmissing and valid for the response
variable—for example, it should be 0 or 1 for a binary response—but it does
not otherwise affect the results."

As mine is a continuous outcome variable (BMI in kg/square meter), I am
confused with which arbitrary value should I use. Below is a range of my
BMI at two-time points. I can see either 0 or 1 is NOT a valid value in my
case. Can I use any value in the range of BMI as an arbitrary value to
calculate Prevy? Thank you again and appreciate your unreserved support.
Variable N Mean Std Dev Minimum Maximum
MBMI1
MBMI2
SAS_Rob
SAS Employee

It does not matter what value you use as long as it is a valid value for the distribution of the response.  In other words, you could still use 0 as long as 0 is in the support set for the DIST= option even though you won't actually observe a 0 value.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation