BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
iuri_leite
Fluorite | Level 6

Dear colleagues,

When we run a logistic regression, we assume that the Wald test for a specific parameter has an asymptotic standard Normal distribution. Therefore, when we look at the 95% confidence interval provided for the parameter, before being exponentiated,it is calculated by the following expression: B±1.96SE. But, if the number of observations for the category associated to the parameter estimated is low, then the parameter will not have a Standard Normal distribution. If I am not mistaken, is there a way to change it when estimating a logistic regression?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Iuri

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

You can change the confidence interval from a Wald interval to a likelihood-based interval. Specify CLPARM=PL to request the profile likelihood intervals. For details on their construction, see "Confidence Intervals for Parameters" in the Details section of the PROC LOGISTIC documentation.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@iuri_leite wrote:

Dear colleagues,

When we run a logistic regression, we assume that the Wald test for a specific parameter has an asymptotic standard Normal distribution. Therefore, when we look at the 95% confidence interval provided for the parameter, before being exponentiated,it is calculated by the following expression: B±1.96SE. But, if the number of observations for the category associated to the parameter estimated is low, then the parameter will not have a Standard Normal distribution. If I am not mistaken, is there a way to change it when estimating a logistic regression?

I'm not sure I understand the question. In particular, when you say "is there a way to change it", what does "it" refer to, what do you want to change?

If I was to guess at what you mean, you need to tell PROC LOGISTIC to compute the confidence intervals for the parameter estimates via the CLPARM= option.

--
Paige Miller
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

You can change the confidence interval from a Wald interval to a likelihood-based interval. Specify CLPARM=PL to request the profile likelihood intervals. For details on their construction, see "Confidence Intervals for Parameters" in the Details section of the PROC LOGISTIC documentation.

iuri_leite
Fluorite | Level 6

Dear @StatDave,

thanks a lot.

It worked just fine.

Best regards,

Iuri 

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation