BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SBuc
Obsidian | Level 7

Dear Brain trust,

I want to determine the effect of a treatment on a score of pain in animals. Many published literature has used GLM models using score as a continuous dependent variable accounting then for treatment, block and animal repetition using linear mixed model.

however, this approach is per se assuming that the score is a continuous variable (which is not) and also that a score of 8 is 2 times worst than a score of 4 which is not demonstrated (so the interval between 2 unit scale can not be assumed to be the same throughout the scale (0-15 max points).

initially we used non parametric tests such as rank comparison but I want to know if a more elegant and powerful analysis can be performed.

thanks

1 REPLY 1
Reeza
Super User

You can try an ordinal regression. 

The documentation has a fully worked example:

https://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=statug&docsetTarget=statug_logistic_examples03.htm&docsetVer...

Under the title there's a link to the full code that you can run on your machine and then follow through. Once you understand the example, you can replicate it on your own data. 

@SBuc wrote:

Dear Brain trust,

I want to determine the effect of a treatment on a score of pain in animals. Many published literature has used GLM models using score as a continuous dependent variable accounting then for treatment, block and animal repetition using linear mixed model.

however, this approach is per se assuming that the score is a continuous variable (which is not) and also that a score of 8 is 2 times worst than a score of 4 which is not demonstrated (so the interval between 2 unit scale can not be assumed to be the same throughout the scale (0-15 max points).

initially we used non parametric tests such as rank comparison but I want to know if a more elegant and powerful analysis can be performed.

thanks

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation