BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
yoyong555
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi everyone.

The scenario is this:

In a trial, a person visits the center thrice. During each visit, the number of medicines he receives is counted.

Example:

Baseline         6 months      1 year

Person 1             9                     2                    6

I want to know if there is a significant difference in the number of medicines he received across three visits. What statistical test do I use? And how should I program it?

Thank you very much.

Happy holidays to everyone.

6 REPLIES 6
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Duplicate question, please reply in the other thread. https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Programming/Test-of-differences-counts/td-p/613453

DO NOT REPLY HERE

--
Paige Miller
yoyong555
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi everyone.

The scenario is this:

In a trial, a person visits the center thrice. During each visit, the number of medicines he receives is counted.

Example:

Baseline         6 months      1 year

Person 1             9                     2                    6

I want to know if there is a significant difference in the number of medicines he received across three visits. What statistical test do I use? And how should I program it?

Thank you very much.

Happy holidays to everyone.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

It is impossible to determine what statistical test to use, or even IF there is a statistical test in this case, without further information.

Is the variability from time period to time period, or across individuals (which doesn't exist as you specified a single person in your example)? Is baseline equivalent to six months or a year or longer? What is the exact (please be specific) hypothesis you want to test? What should we assume is the statistical distribution of this data (normal, Poisson, binomial, other)???

--
Paige Miller
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

If there are multiple people and you want to compare the times, then you can arrange your data with one measurement per observation (row) in your data set, and fit a Poisson GEE model similar to what is shown in the example titled "Log-Linear Model for Count Data" in the GENMOD documentation.  That example has an offset which you don't appear to have in this case, so the OFFSET= option will not be needed.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation