BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Mathis1
Quartz | Level 8

Hello, 

I ran a proc GLM to predict a model with a countinuous variable et some categorical variables. 

For each modality i have in the output the coefficients and also the t-test p-value. I'd like to know how the t-test stat is calculated. I'm not sure how it works for categorical variables. Actually, i'd like to know what "u" is used for the calculus of the test : ( mean(X) - u)/ (sigma / root(n)) .

In other words, what difference do we try to interpret, when looking at interpreting the t-test for a modality of a categorical variable ?

Thank you by advance 😉

1 REPLY 1
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

u is zero, the test is if the coefficient is zero, or in other words (and in layman's terms), it is a test if the coefficient has an impact or is essentially zero and has no impact

If you want to test (for example) whether or not the levels are statistically different, that would be the F-test for the variable.

--
Paige Miller

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation