BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
proctice
Quartz | Level 8

Is it appropriate to do a t-test/anova for a count, given it is not normally distributed?

If I use genmod with a poisson distribution instead (count as the outcome, categorical variable as the dependent variable) , it is still a test for difference in observed means for the count variable?  Can I put my observed means and standard deviations calculated with proc means next to the p-value from genmod?  Or would I be mixing things?  Should I take the log of my means and present those instead? Thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

@proctice wrote:

Is it appropriate to do a t-test/anova for a count, given it is not normally distributed?

If I use genmod with a poisson distribution instead (count as the outcome, categorical variable as the dependent variable) , it is still a test for difference in observed means for the count variable?  Can I put my observed means and standard deviations calculated with proc means next to the p-value from genmod?  Or would I be mixing things?  Should I take the log of my means and present those instead? Thank you. 

Real life count data is not frequently distributed as Poisson. Poisson based p-values are usually over liberal (too small). Make sure you check for overdispersion if you go that route.

As for your model, "outcome variable" and "dependent variable" usually mean the same thing. If your model is of the type count = categorical, then you could, as a first safe step, try non-parametric tests. If those aren't significant, proceed with great caution with tests based on stronger assumptions.

PG

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Reeza
Super User

Is ChiSquare another approach, it's more designed for count data.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@proctice wrote:

To test what hypothesis?

--
Paige Miller
proctice
Quartz | Level 8

To test a question like this:

Is the average count for men higher than the average count for women.

model count=gender/dist=poisson

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

@proctice wrote:

Real life count data is not frequently distributed as Poisson. Poisson based p-values are usually over liberal (too small). Make sure you check for overdispersion if you go that route.

As for your model, "outcome variable" and "dependent variable" usually mean the same thing. If your model is of the type count = categorical, then you could, as a first safe step, try non-parametric tests. If those aren't significant, proceed with great caution with tests based on stronger assumptions.

PG
proctice
Quartz | Level 8

Sorry, I meant independent not dependent. 

I plan to do all the over-dispersion testing later when I put several variables into the model.  Right now, I am just doing a bivariate analysis to decide what variables to include in my bigger model. 

I like the non-parametric suggestion! I'll do that instead. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation